How much rain.

Mauser243

I Know rain has been covered before, but my question is how much do you put up with before calling it a night/morning.

I was out tonight for the first time in a while due to a recent leg injury, and just my luck the heavens just opened, so called it a night as it was pretty hard to see.

as soon as it starts to rain I'm off, been too many times when I've been wet through and chilled to the bone, at 63 I've got older and wiser, but only just.

It depends how desperate you are to shoot something , me , well i dont stay out in it long i get wet enough when i have to

I usually check out the met check website as it at least gives you an idea of how much rain you are likely to get in any 3hr period :

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=edinburgh

The best site for a short term weather forecast if you are only interested in whether or not it is likely to rain is:

Rain Today - http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

The site gives an animation of radar pictures at 15 minute intervals for the previous 2-3 hours that is overlaid on Google Maps allowing you to zoom in and out.

Been out in all sorts of weather over the years. Comes a bit hard when you have clients who have travelled far to stalk/hunt as they will, in most cases ;) still be eager to be out.

In some of the most atrocious weather I have ever been out in whilst stalking in the south of England 2 years ago, with two members off this site, high winds, driving rain, thunder, lightning and hail we still managed to take two Roe doe's in the morning and a Fallow doe in the evening. Mind you the weather in the evening had eased off somewhat.

So in answer " you wont shoot deer by laying in bed" :lol::lol: but as I get older I must admit there are times when it would be nice to roll over and go back to sleep.

I was planning on going for a hunt last wekend, but it started raining last fri, and we`ve had 150 mm so far,and been freezing in the mornings and theres snow on the hills near us, so me thinks a lie in this wekend too.

I've shot some big bucks in heavy rain and cold winds, I'd be more inclined to stay tight and close to cover though, even a high seat if it's in the right spot.
It was a cold drizzel this morning off the east yet when I set up my pigeon shooters there was a big old buck walking through the soaking wet barley just a couple of hundred yards away.

Mark.

When I have clients leave the choice to them when to call it a day, on my own I don't do any more than drizzle, have shot deer in heavy rain but better to wait till it stops.

Last edited:
How much rain?

Yesterday I was out repairing and resiting high seats, not even shooting, and I got absolutely soaked to the skin. At least most of the jobs are now out of the way, one more workday to complete, before fallow season starts.

Back