Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bedding recomendations

Bedding recomendations

Hi,

Can anyone recommend an UK based supplier and product - consisting of a set of 2 piece pillar bedding posts, screws, etc. Devcon 11010 and agents needed for bedding.

This will be for my Sako 75 Hunter - so any recommendations based on experience with bedding this exact rifle would be preferred.

Also, does anyone know if additional inletting space is required in the standard stock, and if will be beneficial for me to create additional barrel float (currently there's around 1.5mm).

Lastly, when releasing the bolt from the locked position (as in starting the process of cycling a new round), it is very sticky/tough, I am guessing it's due to the Sako bolt safety/locking mechanism, but is there any way this can be made smoother, as keeping the POA is very tricky without jerking the rifle all over the place. I know some custom actions are super smoother, and you can cycle a new round with just a feather grip on the bolt..is there any work that can be done?

I'm no expert, but I've now done four of my own rifles, all successfully.

Devcon I could only find at Midway UK.
    Pillars I had made by a local precision engineers.
    Plastacine and wax polish both from Wilkinson.
    Nail polish remover and cotton buds were nicked from my wife.

You will have to remove quite a bit of material from your stock to make room for the Devcon, I use a knock-off Dremel, a drill press and a sharp chisel.
    1.5mm of float sounds like plenty.

Andy

I used to make my own fishing lures (a couple of lure rods too, and a couple of boats!) and I used to use Devcon products back then. I had never heard of Midway so there must be other stockists.

I think I got it from an engineering supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by John_R View Post
    I used to make my own fishing lures (a couple of lure rods too, and a couple of boats!) and I used to use Devcon products back then. I had never heard of Midway so there must be other stockists.

I think I got it from an engineering supplier.
    Loads on ebay

Devcon make all sorts of epoxys, it is 10110 that you want for this job.

I have purchased Devcon from Lawson H S supplies, have a google search they do all the devcon range at very good prices and quick delivery also hope this is of some help.
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

it's called 10112 in the UK - for the 500gr tub that is. I also got it from Lawson - quick postage, good price (makes MidwayUk look like a joke) and good service
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Yup 10110 is the 1lb. Tub, 10112 is the half kilo tub, easy when you know......
    A total pain when you don't, I got my 10110 from e-bay uk, about 20.00

Neil.

cromwell tools also do devcon

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Hi,
    Lastly, when releasing the bolt from the locked position (as in starting the process of cycling a new round), it is very sticky/tough, I am guessing it's due to the Sako bolt safety/locking mechanism, but is there any way this can be made smoother, as keeping the POA is very tricky without jerking the rifle all over the place. I know some custom actions are super smoother, and you can cycle a new round with just a feather grip on the bolt..is there any work that can be done?
    There is something going wrong with your rifle. I have three Sako 75s (one 223, one 243, one 30-06) and I've known at least two others. All of them have a smooth slick action, none of them exhibit the problem you mention. Either get a competent riflesmith to look at it or send it to GMK for their riflesmith to look at it.

Also, I don't know why you want to bed the action as it doesn't need it. None of mine are bedded and they all shoot well enough (I mainly use handloads). I'm not one of these handloaders who chase the Holy Grail and claim half inch groups at 200 yards, if it shoots good enough then I settle on whatever load it is. Good enough is five rounds covered by a 2p coin (a 1" group ctc) or first round striking exactly where I want - whichever comes sooner :-)

-JMS