Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The peril's of seeking permission for shooting!

The peril's of seeking permission for shooting!

So i went for a trundle around my local area for some pigeon/rabbit and rough shooting Tuesday (Outskirts of Rotherham/Doncaster) rolled into one farm yard and was met by a very large Alsation on a 20ft wire connected to zip wire across the entrance to the yard. Dog kicks off and a worker (very nice chap) came across to chat and i started to talk about Shooting etc - he then invited me down to the main house to see the boss (did warn me it would be a no - as they have their own partridge shoot) - but thought he may know someone who may be able to help. meantime dogs still kicking off and by this point getting very upset at the site of me, so i asked the worker to hold the dog whilst i passed through to the house, he did.....

....Then let the dam thing go....it ran the 40ft, ripped the zip wire anchor out of the wall and proceeded to jump from 6ft away and latch onto the top of my thigh. I shouted, worker grabbed the dogs chain and pulled him off (in the process ripping my nice shooting trousers - Seeland Jobbies) and taking a chunk out of my leg....

The owner came out (oldish guy) and could be more apologetic. I said there and then it was fine as it was doing it's job (lots of Pikey's around us) then we spoke about shooting, i got the usual ''we have nowt" and then got on my way - via a different exit shown by the worker.

Mother-in-law is a staff nurse and had a look last night and gave me strict instructions -

So this afternoon (as i have time) i have been up to the local A&E and got a tetnus booster and some antibiotic's - so now legs hurting and arms fekin' killing...

all for shooting...

Or not in this case...lol

T

Now send him the bill.......................
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Ask the owner if you can help out on the Partridge shoot, keeping the foxes under control. Its something he should consider after the mauling you have had.

Tried that one Malc,

Just as i left the 'Keepers' (two local rough-shooters who keep the partridges for the rough/vermin shooting) appeared, owner asked one of them if he knew of anyone who might know of anything.

His response was simply rude, he shook his head - looked me up and down (i would guess my trousers cost more than everything he was wearing) and said 'not likely' even the owner was a-taken-back by that...

I looked at the owner and he just shook his head, and said (in front of them) these boys are very protective over their shooting. I replied that i was not out to tread on toes nor did a knock-back bother me, i was just simply asking - as we all know if you dont ask.......

Keeper bloke didnt take kindly and muttered something and wandered off - muttering something about Yorkshiremen being the best blokes to look after yorkshires wildlife!?!?!!?!

T.W.A.T

Owner was as good as gold though...and gave me a number for another farmer who suffers from loads of pigeons....

The hunt goes on...

T

To update on the injury,

I cant post pictures - otherwise you would be impressed - i have a 3" x 6" oval black / yellow bruse on my leg - with bite marks, Arm is hot from the tetnus (they told me it would go like that for 24hrs)

T

Hmm well maybe the landowner should review the company he keeps!

Tell you what Tommo, drop me a Pm and I will sort you out a couple of outings for a shot on Fallow or Roe later in the winter, on me. Its a bit of a jaunt for you but Wadashot is from your neck of the woods and he is often down here in the south stalking with me.

Hope the wounds heal quickly and dont give up looking, it will come good in the end for you.

Regards

Sikamalc

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    So i went for a trundle around my local area for some pigeon/rabbit and rough shooting Tuesday (Outskirts of Rotherham/Doncaster)
    Mother-in-law is a staff nurse and had a look last night and gave me strict instructions -

So this afternoon (as i have time) i have been up to the local A&E and got a tetnus booster and some antibiotic's - so now legs hurting and arms fekin' killing...

all for shooting...

Or not in this case...lol

T
    You'll take alot more knocks, bruise, sprained ankles & cuts, & thorns & then theres the Anti's .........all " in the name of hunting " yet ! hahaha
    Part of the game bud

Good luck Tommo,
    Took me ages to get some land of my own and thats visited by our travelling dog friends regularly. Even CCTV doesnt put them off.
    Get along to your local shoots and over to beat, you might get summit that way.
    T
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Don't get me wrong guys,

I've got stuff in the south (Aylesbury area) a small bit with muntjac and a couple of other bits that don't amount to much, but as I've relocated to S Yorks - Im looking for a bit of something to go at, trouble is a lot of the land with deer on in the north notts/derbs areas is shot by keepers and their mates only (I know it will only take the right word in the right ear with the right deal and something will happen)

Thanks for the offer Malc - might take you up on that!

T

when you say notts derby wot area of south yorks are you i have plenty in that area may be able to help pm me for a chat cheers the atom