Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5mm Options

6.5mm Options

Hi ,I am looking to have a custom rifle built in the near future ,looking for a 6.5mm but unsure what variant to go for.Any comments on 6.5x47/57/06/284/55 would be welcomed.
    Thanks u71.

u71

What about 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmore?

Regards JCS

There isn't a bad choice among them.

Your intended purpose, and the style of rifle you plan, should pretty much make the choice for you.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

The intended purpose of the rifle will be as a light weight woodland rifle not overly long and without moderator..JCS i have just looked at the specs on the 6.5 creedmore (wife's comment oh god not another 1!!)

If you are talking a stainless synthetic type rifle, a 260rem is the ticket. If there is no moderator planned, leave the barrel around 22"-23". If you are talking a traditional timber stocked rifle on a Mauser action, I would have to go with the 6.5x57, just because it is so nice.

The rest burn more powder or operate at higher pressures for no decernable benefit.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

My .260 has a 20" barrel and is a light wieght woodland stalking rifle.
    Without its mod it's lively and loud !!!!

Where in Derbyshire are you ?

Before you decide look at brass avalability and price as lots of case prep can be an expensive pain !

Save some cash buy a factory rifle you wont need custom accuracy for 200 m

fox firearms is you friend !!
    Last edited by splash; 22-07-2011 at 11:36.

Quote Originally Posted by unicorn71 View Post
    The intended purpose of the rifle will be as a light weight woodland rifle not overly long and without moderator.
    Single shot break action 'Kipplauf' would fit the bill then. If, like me, you're looking to buy secondhand then there might be a chance of one in a more commonly used continental cartridge. The 6.5x57 or the 57R, or 6.5x55 would be a good choice for a light rifle with their recoil characteristics.

Hmmm well I would stick with the 6.5x55 and did so. The Swedish cartridge is an excellent one with the bonus of being easy to source.

Mauser's 6.5x57 has an excellent reputation too but is not to commonly encountered but for your desired use of woodland stalking:-

Although it's not so common now the old classic 6.5x54MS would be about perfect for you. Mild mannered it was dropping deer and big game before a lot of the modern crop of rifle makers were in business dating from about 1899/1900 most famous in the Mannlicher Shoenauer Model 1903 of course .

I'd go with 6.5 x 55 too. Sweet shooting round - great accuracy at both low and high speed loadings. Good knock down and penetration possibilities. Easy ammo / brass sourcing, and if you ever want to sell it, it'll be much easier to move on than a more obscure option.

Ian

6.5X55, good availability proven cartridge! A 6.5X57 has just about identical powder capacity but brass is harder to source.