Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roe bucks appeared yet?

Roe bucks appeared yet?

Has anyone else's bucks reappeared yet?....still no sign on my patches, I'm getting a bit worried now with only 3 weeks left to finish the cull, now you start thinking should I readjust my cull plan....?

They do the usual lie-low after the rut but am usually seeing them again by now. Maybe I just can't see them - if so I hope this wind, rain and frost will knock some leaves off...

Funny you should ask that question now, just shot my first one this morning having not seen one for several weeks.
    This was after having my cross hairs on a Red Stag, 11 points, huge beast with his hinds.....but not safe! they just wandered into the woods, end of story!
    Cheers
    Richard

Funny you should ask that question now, just shot my first one this morning having not seen one for several weeks.
    This was after having my cross hairs on a Red Stag, 11 points, huge beast with his hinds.....but not safe! they just wandered into the woods, end of story!
    Cheers
    Richard

Just out of interest why leave it until now to cull them and not get the cull complete prior to the rut?

Just out of interest why leave it until now to cull them and not get the cull complete prior to the rut?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    We've been seeing bucks since the rut. Hoped to get one this morning but instead ended up with possibly the smallest muntjac doe I've shot! Saw a nice roe buck but it was skylined.

willie_gunn

Mine had disappeared so I have left the place alone for 3 weeks, apart from a bit of woodie pest control with the SG.

Its encouraging to hear they are emerging elsewhere.

S.

Hi
    Little showing since the rut until this weekend, seen three and shot an old buck last night, I had seen him earlier on in the season (April) but he had disappeared until now. Half his tine ends were broken and there were some grazes on his neck and shoulders which had heeled, so he must have been in the wars a little with the other bucks, and I did se a much bigger lad not to far away Saturday afternoon.
    I would like to say and I hope people donít think me a bit soft, but I was a little sad well a lot actually I had know this buck for some time and had watched him when he was younger even before I got the stalking but like most things all good things must come to an end his head was low and a shadow of his past and he needed Taking.

Smithy

The simple answer is that the bucks will all reappear on October 21st and will stand in broad daylight with clear easy shots until March 31st.

On 21 st October all the does will vanish from sight to reappear on 1st April.

But I did catch up with one very old buck ten days ago - teeth well worn down - obviously had no concept of time!

Heym SR20

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20
    But I did catch up with one very old buck ten days ago - teeth well worn down - obviously had no concept of time! Heym SR20
    If he was that old maybe he knew his time had come?