Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPU ammo ?

PPU ammo ?

i am just about to get my fisrst .243 and am wondering what people think about ppu ammo i know it will be up to my gun which ammo it prefers but as a starting point i am thinking of gettin some 90gr ppu and some 85gr hornady and see how i get on

I have used the 90 grain ppu in .243 before I started Reloading and found it excellent , and at 58 quid for 100 good value

Kev - this question has been pretty much done to death. Use the search facility for 'Privvi' and see what turns up.

Best advice is for any new rifle, get a selection of ammunition and see what works best for you and your rifle - at a cost you can afford. For what it's worth (bu**er all really, as your rifle isn't my rifle) but PPU 100gr work fine in my .243

cheer lads i will be getting a selection fo rammo to try through it while punching some paper down range but just wondered if the quality of ammo was a reflection of the price ,

"wondered if the quality of ammo was a reflection of the price"
    No, far from it. It is a reflection of the Serbian economy.

Had a .243 rem 700 and it wouldn't shoot in that rifle but it shot will in a mates similar Rem 700! my rem 700 normaly shot better than his with anything else. My 30.06 Mauser is grim with 150 FMJ and 180SP but shootsh well with the 165HP. At the money it costs it is well worth a try.

Good luck

Dave

i am looking for a round that will hold its own on both fox and roe , which is why i am hoping it is going to like soemthing around a 80-90 gr bullet so think will pick up a box of ppu , i have shot them out of .223 in 55gr and they match 40gr hornady no problem even at 300yards but was just checking what you guys thought in .243

Hi Kev,

My brother recently got a Tikka T3 Lite in .243, he was recommended Sako Gamehead 90 grain by the staff at Bagnall & Kirkwood in Newcastle, they weren't wrong as it was clover leafing at 100 meters.

Shot a roe with them tight behind the front legs, destroyed both lungs and left a 50p sized exit and not that much meat damage, he shot a fox at 50 meters through the shoulder and still only got a 50p sized exit, worked great for both and no need to mess about changing zero with different ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by kev1986 View Post
    i am looking for a round that will hold its own on both fox and roe , which is why i am hoping it is going to like soemthing around a 80-90 gr bullet so think will pick up a box of ppu , i have shot them out of .223 in 55gr and they match 40gr hornady no problem even at 300yards but was just checking what you guys thought in .243
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

i just bought a PH243 with a selection of ammo. Sako worked well but it didnt like the Privvi as much. the other stuff was federal I think which I wouldnt use on a deer out of principle!!

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    .....the other stuff was federal I think which I wouldnt use on a deer out of principle!!
    Why's that then?

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position