PPU ammo ?

kev1986

i am just about to get my fisrst .243 and am wondering what people think about ppu ammo i know it will be up to my gun which ammo it prefers but as a starting point i am thinking of gettin some 90gr ppu and some 85gr hornady and see how i get on

I have used the 90 grain ppu in .243 before I started Reloading and found it excellent , and at 58 quid for 100 good value

Kev - this question has been pretty much done to death. Use the search facility for 'Privvi' and see what turns up.

Best advice is for any new rifle, get a selection of ammunition and see what works best for you and your rifle - at a cost you can afford. For what it's worth (bu**er all really, as your rifle isn't my rifle) but PPU 100gr work fine in my .243

cheer lads i will be getting a selection fo rammo to try through it while punching some paper down range but just wondered if the quality of ammo was a reflection of the price ,

"wondered if the quality of ammo was a reflection of the price"
No, far from it. It is a reflection of the Serbian economy.

Had a .243 rem 700 and it wouldn't shoot in that rifle but it shot will in a mates similar Rem 700! my rem 700 normaly shot better than his with anything else. My 30.06 Mauser is grim with 150 FMJ and 180SP but shootsh well with the 165HP. At the money it costs it is well worth a try.

Good luck

Dave

i am looking for a round that will hold its own on both fox and roe , which is why i am hoping it is going to like soemthing around a 80-90 gr bullet so think will pick up a box of ppu , i have shot them out of .223 in 55gr and they match 40gr hornady no problem even at 300yards but was just checking what you guys thought in .243

Hi Kev,

My brother recently got a Tikka T3 Lite in .243, he was recommended Sako Gamehead 90 grain by the staff at Bagnall & Kirkwood in Newcastle, they weren't wrong as it was clover leafing at 100 meters.

Shot a roe with them tight behind the front legs, destroyed both lungs and left a 50p sized exit and not that much meat damage, he shot a fox at 50 meters through the shoulder and still only got a 50p sized exit, worked great for both and no need to mess about changing zero with different ammunition.

i am looking for a round that will hold its own on both fox and roe , which is why i am hoping it is going to like soemthing around a 80-90 gr bullet so think will pick up a box of ppu , i have shot them out of .223 in 55gr and they match 40gr hornady no problem even at 300yards but was just checking what you guys thought in .243

i just bought a PH243 with a selection of ammo. Sako worked well but it didnt like the Privvi as much. the other stuff was federal I think which I wouldnt use on a deer out of principle!!

i am just about to get my fisrst .243 and am wondering what people think about ppu ammo i know it will be up to my gun which ammo it prefers but as a starting point i am thinking of gettin some 90gr ppu and some 85gr hornady and see how i get on

Hiya, I just recently got a Remmy 700, and got some PPU 100gr rounds, think they were £80 a 100. Zerod the gun at 100yds off the bonnet of the car with no bipod, and it was giving me 3/4 " groups at 100yds... my mates CZ 550 was much the same, tho, he used the bipod..so not bad at all...:)

Had a couple of foxes with the same round too, not a big exit wound at 120yds or so...;)

BTW, this is my first .243, so def no expert..I moved up from a .222..:) which also liked PPU rounds..:)

I've use 55gn sp's in my .223 Howa and 100gn sp's in my .243 CZ, both group fine 1/2" for .223 and 3/4" for .243 at 100 yards

hi kev,ive tried a few different types in my mauser (sako-fed-win-ppu),all seemed to be much of a muchness,so would rather spend £12 than £27,wher abouts are you,ive got a couple of boxes if you get stuck:thumb:

PPU 150 grain soft points work well at 100 yards in my 308. But the groups have massively opened up at 200 yards. Just be careful if you try some and zero at 100. Don't shoot longer range until you've tried it.

I have a T3 varmint and it love s100gr soft point PPU also a 30-06 T3 lite which also likes 150gr SP and 180Gr SP PPU. Groupes really well when I do my bit.

Treid the 30-06 at the Catton Rifle day and was shooting at targets fromm 20yds to 390yds at it seam to hit them ok.

Shot the 10-12" metal disc at 300yds 3 times on the trot with the 180gr so It will be fine at stalking ranges.

Jonathon

I use Privi in 6.5x57, 308 Win, 300 Win Mag and 9.3x62

I was advised by my dealer to buy the .308 Match HPBT in 168 grain. They are very accurate and the best group that I have shot is a half inch.

The 150 grain 300 Win Mag SP can shoot an inch as well. I zeroed my 9.3x62 yesterday and shot a 2.5 inch Group at 150 Meters which i was very happy with.

The 6.5x57 is pretty consistent with 127 grain SP at 100 meters. I've heard that the brass is also good for reloading.

Back