Thread: Hot barrels

Hot barrels

I went to the range today to have a wee practise on the running boar with my .300 Win Mag. After 4 rounds in the space of 2 minutes, my barrel was too hot to touch; I decided to stop.

The gun is a Blaser R93 and the barrel is of standard dimensions. I am guess I am just looking for justification to buy a heavier barrel like a Semi Weight or a Match Barrel!
    Last edited by Conor1; 23-07-2011 at 17:38.

4 rounds. Post has been edited

Keep shooting - stop touching!

I'm shooting 308 in an R93 so I'm burning a lot less power than you. On the other hand I have a moderator which is a major factor in holding the heat and transferring it to the barrel over a few minutes.

I also find that my barrel will get very hot after a number of shots, say about 6 or so. My experience is that ambient weather conditions are important. On a warm sunny day (not that we've had one this summer - forecast said today was to be a heatwave and it's too cold to sit outside even) with no wind the barrel will hold a lot of heat and take a long time to cool. However, on a cold day with no sun on the barrel and a good breeze then the barrel cools much faster.

I know this is simple logic but even so the magnitude of the difference between different weather conditions amazed me.

300 Win Mag is not a "plinking" round and the barrel will get hot. The biggest danger of running a very hot barrel and keeping shooting is that you are likely to get excessive throat erosion and stress cracking in the bore. This will still happen with a heavy barrel all be it you will get more shots before the outside of the barrel gets hot. The damage is done from the inside out and is a function of heat input and time. Heat input relates from amount of powder burned relative to bore surface area and time is related to number of shots in a period. SLOW DOWN and your barrel will last for more rounds.

Ian

Perhaps the .300 Win Mag is not the ideal round for driven boar then? I have a muzzle brake on it which makes it very easy to shoot.

I also have a 9.3x62 barrel and even though it has an effective brake on it, it is quite kicky and not something that I would want to shoot too many times in a quick succession. As I will be going to France, I realise that there is a restriction on certain calibres that can be used. The advice that I received from Swiss friends was to get a large diameter round.........................but it seems to me that most of the 8mm and 8.5mm rounds are prohibited in France.

Many thanks for the advice.

(PS I am quite happy to be convinced that I need a new barrel; it wont take much arm twisting!)

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    I went to the range today to have a wee practise on the running boar with my .300 Win Mag. After 4 rounds in the space of 2 minutes, my barrel was too hot to touch; I decided to stop.

The gun is a Blaser R93 and the barrel is of standard dimensions. I am guess I am just looking for justification to buy a heavier barrel like a Semi Weight or a Match Barrel!
    That's white-hot gas going down the tube, not tap water. It's going to get hot. ~Muir

I have a Tikka T3 in 300 WinMag with a fairly heavy "varmint" barrel. It gets hot after only a handful of shots, I don't think a new barrel is going to help you unless its in a smaller cartridge.

What you need is one of these to practice with, a 222 barrel.

Blaser - ukvarminting

Save the 300 for the real stuff.

ATB

Tahr