Gut shot - cleaning up the mess!

dodgyrog

I shot a nice little buck last night who turned slightly as I fired. The resultant quartering shot nicked the front end of the rumen. I cleaned him out and discarded everything including the lights. After carrying him to my car (not too far away) I washed him end to end and dried him off with blue paper towel.
The carcass was pretty clean after all that.
Does anybody have any suggestions for alternative actions should I be unfortunate enough to do it again?

Washing is said by some to spread the contamination further.......however in the face of massive contamination is seems absolutely appropriate. I would probably discard the fillets from under the spine though but the rest of the carcass should be OK

suspend and flush out with loads of potable water imediately after Graloch whilst the animal is still hot should end up with a relatively clean carcas cut around outshot.

Dave

Dd has it bang on wash while hot and let cool as normal no presure water just pour cut round contamination and allow an extra few inch looks bad but its the way i do it and i am still alive not that i gut shot many but green contamination happens in even the best shots.

The really annoying thing is when you make a perfectly good shot - shraight in straight out - but bits of shrapnel puncture the bag!

Personally if its just a bit of green stuff in the body cavity then as others have said a wash with a hose when suspended in the larder does the job.

Must say though there have been one or two when the shot was more marginal (!!) and I have ended up with the ribcage 'delaminating' and a widespread smelly tide has resulted.

**** happens :lol:

Had similar in Friday night, roe buck just would not stand still so popped him when the shoulder presented itself. opened from ars* to chin and cleaned with kitchen roll from the back of the jeep. I then give the roe a hose out at the house before hanging, just a low pressure squirt to remove debris nothing mental.

tastes just fine on the barbeque tonight!!!!

I normally flush out then visually inspect. If it was a particularly bad case then I discard anything that has been in contact with the green, so I save the back legs, loins, forequarters, neck, the fillets and ribcage are binned.

Thanks for all of that. I believe what I did complies with the majority of your opinions.
I'll try not to do it again though.

Attachments

• Falnash Buck 002.jpg
    Falnash Buck 002.jpg
    491.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
think people get a bit to excited about the whole "best practice" aspect of stalking for their own table.
its your deer at the end of the day, but unless the contaminant has gone into broken muscle (rather than intact and still in muscle sheath) then just wash it off. its just grass!

having grown up with a 75 year old butcher as a next door neighbour I learned a few things.
Beef hanging with a coating of mould on the outer fat that was just scraped off before the it was hung in the window. we have more people die of food poisoning now then we ever did in the 50's!!

I have found that if you want to hang it then don't put water on it. Makes the bacteria spread fast and mould grow quickly too. Much the same as if you are chopping and bagging and not freezing immediately then best not to wash it as you chop it.

But if you are just washing skinning the next day and then into the freezer, washing is fine.

I'm sure I saw that buck a few weeks ago :) (couldn't get the rifle out of the car quick enough after a mega breakfast :()

Haven't you seen the episode of Bear Grylls where he squeezes the stomach contents of (I think it was a camel or summat) and drinks the juice?..... eewww, mingin!!!

Then he sleeps inside it :eek:

Back