Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 ai

243 ai

Hi a mate of mine just brought his first 243 looking at it i noticed it has 243ai stamped on it he did not realise it was not standard it shoots fine with standard 243 bullets will it create any probs and is it legal on his ticket cheers the atom

Legal on his ticket and it will not cause any issues. He will notice however, the cases 'blowing out' once fired to the dimensions of the Ackley chambering.

When I used factory ammunition to fire-form cases for my .243AI, I cannot say that the accuracy was not what I would have expected from standard .243 in an AI chember . Does he not home-load?

no he does not home load so really he could sell his spent cases for other reloaders

Quote Originally Posted by atom View Post
    no he does not home load so really he could sell his spent cases for other reloaders
    No, I don't think that would be a good idea at all. Regards JCS

Cant see that he will get the best from the rifle though, he should try reloading !!

If chambered correctly a 243 ackley chamber has slightly less headspace than a standard 243 so factory ammo may be tight in the chamber, this difference in headspace can, with factory loadings of heavier bullets, lead to the bullet touching the rifling leading to an over pressure situation.
    Can't use factory ammo heavier than 80 grains in mine without heavy pressure signs

I'd return it as not being what was promised. AI is a waste of time to a non reloader, especially~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by bbrc View Post
    If chambered correctly a 243 ackley chamber has slightly less headspace than a standard 243 so factory ammo may be tight in the chamber, this difference in headspace can, with factory loadings of heavier bullets, lead to the bullet touching the rifling leading to an over pressure situation.
    Can't use factory ammo heavier than 80 grains in mine without heavy pressure signs
    can you explain this, I am confused. not being an arse by the way, just started reloading myself so still learning
    I thought head space was the dimension from shoulder to bolt face.
    doesnt the AI have a longer shoulder to bolt face than stock?

A correctly chambered Ackley chamber will accept factory rounds. You're right, the headspace datun point is different, but the results are the same. THe unfortunate part about "custom" guns in Ackley chamberings is that there is little standardization. If a gunsmith uses a thrice-sharpened reamer, you can get problems with the most cautious handloads. Ackley used seat bullets so that they firmly contacted the rifling, pushing the rim back against the boltface and in essence, supporting the case on both ends during the fire-forming process. Some shooters using 30-06 IMP (the last remaining of my Ackley chambered guns) used to pull service bullets from Lake City Match ammo (when it was cheap) and reseat them to hit the rifling hard, firing them with the original charge in place. It worked nicely.~Muir

slightly off topic but I have never really understood why all cartridges are not ideally held in place between bolt face and shoulder, I can see why factory ammo is not, as chamber/headspace size varies but for the home loader why do they full resize and bump shoulders back (assuming fire formed same rifle etc)? (something I was disappointed not to learn about having read Lee's volume 2.)

i get the 243 AI spec but is it not designed to reduce pressure for max loads rather than give you more charge space?