Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup or part trained, Spaniel

Pup or part trained, Spaniel

Due to another grandchild due in December I am shortly in the market for a spaniel. If a pup I want it past the mouthy stage and house training before babysitting kicks in. the current grandchildren are used to dogs. I am toying with part trained. 500-1000 gives a big kickstart to the training. Anyone taken on one of these "part trained" dogs or am I better starting from scratch. One problem I note is that the main suppliers are down Hereford Chepstow area. A long way. Jim

The problem with getting a part trained is you don't actually know what the dog is really capable of or what faults it has
    as the demo will be of it's best bits

what you need is a demo of the sort of hunting you will require the dog to do

but the bonus of a part trained is a quicker and less expensive way than a pup

personally if I got a part trained I would look at field trial failures or set up a demo to suit with water work
    who hav you been looking at in the Hereford Chepstow area and which lines

Hello Jim,

There is a fellow who has a good reputation for training dogs and he has kennels not far from me in Lamington. I have not personally had any dealings with him but from what I hear he is very helpful and knowledgable and has a good reputation with people I know who are involved with the shooting scene.

http://www.lamingtongundogs.co.uk/boarding.htm

Its not to far from you either.
    Bob

Hello

I was told if you dont have the pup you never have the dog. I think there is a lot of truth in that.

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

thought spaniels died half trained?

There are few dogs that will match a spaniel on it's hunting/flushing abilities but I thought you might have considered a Lab. A nice dual purpose dog would suit you well.

I came across others but this site got me thinking,
    http://www.countrywaysgundogs.com/in...blog&Itemid=54

Jim,
    I have had both, spaniels from puppies and I have bought trained dogs, both have been very good, and it is a matter of preference, as has already been mentioned failed trailing dogs can be great value as these are often better trained than most and the faults they have are normally perfectly acceptable to a shooting man, i.e. they may speak very occasionally in very thick cover when hunting rabbit, circle you when retrieving, or just lack trailing speed. Most are very well bred and have had a good start as the person who trained them was hoping to trial them.
    Good luck, and i hope you find a great puppy /dog.

Wel finally went for part trained, Katie was delivered 8.30am from Nicola cracking wee dog. Gazza will keep her for me while I am on Holiday.
    http://www.druimmuirspaniels.co.uk/our-springers/katie/

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthedug View Post
    Hello Jim,

There is a fellow who has a good reputation for training dogs and he has kennels not far from me in Lamington. I have not personally had any dealings with him but from what I hear he is very helpful and knowledgable and has a good reputation with people I know who are involved with the shooting scene.

http://www.lamingtongundogs.co.uk/boarding.htm

Its not to far from you either.
    Bob
    I'll second that Bob. Gibby's got a good reputation and an awful lot of experience (Well, that grey hair didn't just happen over night )