Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Carlos Hathcock

Carlos Hathcock

just finished listening to an audio book on Carlos N Hathcock II for the second time. I travel a lot with work and find the audio books are great for long journies etc. I was moved by the accomplishments of what appears to have been a very humble man. Just wondering if any of the US members had the pleasure of shooting with him. the book is Marine Sniper 93 confirmed kills. i would recommend it to anyone interested in the accomplishments of snipers. I particulary liked the description of fitting a scope to a 50 cal machine gun for long distance targets

keith

Apart from it being sanctioned from a higher authority and not out of his own imagination what make what he did any different to the wacko in norways last Friday performance?

Although If the camp organisers in Norway were allowed to be armed as perhaps would be the case in the USA he could not have reached such a high score of victims.
    I always carried where it was allowed when I lived in the USA.
    The world is not always a nice place.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Apart from it being sanctioned from a higher authority and not out of his own imagination what make what he did any different to the wacko in norways last Friday performance?

Although If the camp organisers in Norway were allowed to be armed as perhaps would be the case in the USA he could not have reached such a high score of victims.
    I always carried where it was allowed when I lived in the USA.
    The world is not always a nice place.
    Martin
    Don't think you've read the book Martin! The man is a true legend ! His story is more amaizing than any Hollywood fictional script! One of the best books I've ever read!

The first mention I saw, of a fifty being rigged up for long range anti- personnel use, was in a book called with British snipers to the Reich, by a Captain C. Shore ( bet he got some leg pulling!), I.S.B.N.1-85367-292-0
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    Are you serious?????

Are you really comparing a terrorist attack to a mans exploits/achievements during war or conflict?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Are you serious?????

Are you really comparing a terrorist attack to a mans exploits/achievements during war or conflict?

Mr Hathcock also went out into the field wearing a feather in his hatband, wether for good luck, or as a come on, I'm not sure, but he was certainly no coward, or a type to revel in killing, he was doing a very hard to do job of work, I would wonder how many service men & civilians still live today because of the marks took out on the line.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Difficult to compare the two roles but I guess you have your views hence the statement. The book is definately worth a read,

Keith

Hello Ksb,I have read " marine sniper " a couple of times years apart and I thoroughly enjoyed it both times,its a cracking read and a very interesting insight into war and the personal challenges it brings to the different players.
    If you enjoyed this book you probably really enjoy " chickenhawk " its about a chopper pilot in vietnam at around the same time and theyre are many paralells both with the book and the 2 main characters,lee

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Martin

If you PM me your address I'd be happy to send you my copy of "Marine Sniper", the biography of Carlos Hathcock. You can read about the man and his life - both before and after serving in the USMC. He never gloried in what he did and was, by all accounts, a very humble man.

The fact that his active career as a sniper came to an end when the APC he was in was hit by a mine and he risked his own life to help drag the occupants out of the blazing vehicle is just one reason why I'd strongly disagree with your comparison.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!