Carlos Hathcock

Em!! dont think even he could have done that have you not seen mythbusters;)

Wait 'til Discovery "military" shows a re-run of "snipers", that's where I saw it. I haven't seen the mythbusters programme that you're on about, but did see where they tried to duplicate Carlos' shot, it didn't work with the new type scope with several lenses, but they did it when shooting at the old type rifle scope.

DL. I am currently in Norway and not a lot of people would find remarks comparing the killer with a soldier of whatever nation or creed understandable.

So like BB everyone is entitled to opinion, they are like a!!!holes we all have one. The fact that most posters find it offensive tells you the mode of feeling among the forum.

Ok Callie wasnt aware of that, if its true i stand corrected. As i do not know enough about the construction of the scope that was used i wont argue.
Hey one thing was certain he could shoot off a gnats bollock:eek:

Just looked on BB's profile, no friends yet, hardly loikely to make any now either

This smacks of the worst elements of schoolyard bullying!

I would like to say that I have met BavarianBrit and I hope he would regard me as his friend.

This smacks of the worst elements of schoolyard bullying!

I would like to say that I have met BavarianBrit and I hope he would regard me as his friend.

Good job you didnt go to my school then,:) it smacks of an off the cuff, mildly amusing comment (in my mind any way) to a stupid, again in my mind, comment comparing a mad man killing innocents to a war hero, with which the majority of posters seem to agree on.

Andrew

I saw the Myth busters and it was quite excellent.

Getting back to the topic I have a sniper Video somewhere by a Major Pallister. At the end is an interview with Mr Hathcock
and the description of his long range shot which was achieved as the previous day he had sighted in his .50 at the very spot where the next day the Vietnamese person stood. I find his accent makes the interview difficult to follow but I think it was a very rare televised appearance I will have to see if I can retrieve the old VHS casette.

D

This thread started off about Carlos Hathcocks life story of his exploits as a sniper, if you do watch the rerun of snipers on T.V, you will see the story of a Russian sniper who's exploits were the basis of a film titled Enemy at the gates, I believe thats the title. You will also hear of the Russian sniper accredited with several hundred confirmed kills whom after the 2nd world war returned to her job as a wife and mother. She sought no fame or glory merely did what many Russian woman snipers did, fought for her country and return home safely, All with a Russian nagant rifle and side mounted scope, lets all play nicely and end this thread.:coat:deerwarden

Hi Ksb,
If you liked Marine Sniper then you should give Chickenhawk a go (as already stated) I struggled with all the abreviations and in the end it spoiled it for me. I read hundreds of books and if you like Military books I would recommend, The tunnels of Chu Chi (about the tunnel rats in Veitnam), Two Sides of hell (about the Falklands but told from both sides) and the very best of all, if you can get it, The devils Guard (the tale of a regiment of SS at the end of the second world war ending up in indochina fighting for the french foreign legion).
Doubt you will get any of them in Audio format though.
Ezzy

I'd be interested to know where you got the audio book from, I too spend long hours travelling and like an audio book to listen too. Lirivox.org is a good site I've found, I found William Cody's (Buffalo Bill) autobiography good and I'm currently listening to a book by Theodore Roosevelt about a hunting/naturalist expedition through brazil which is interesting and i got off librivox free.
+1 for Chickenhawk and Another vietnam era book that I would highly recommend is called "Once a Warrior King" by David Donovan.

A mate and myself subscribe to audible.com which let's you download a couple of books per month, I am not sure what the membership fees are these days. Sorry for the delay in responding. I am not suggesting piratebay but you can also find some there as well

Keith

I'm busy making a list of books recomended on this thread, dont read a lot , but need a good book for my hols! Thanks chaps! Apart from Marine Sniper, I can recomend, The Man Eaters Of Tsavo J H Patterson . And Keepering tales in Come Dawn, Come Dusk, by Norman Mursell, which is made even better for me, as my grandfether used to help him out ! s
Hi Ksb,
If you liked Marine Sniper then you should give Chickenhawk a go (as already stated) I struggled with all the abreviations and in the end it spoiled it for me. I read hundreds of books and if you like Military books I would recommend, The tunnels of Chu Chi (about the tunnel rats in Veitnam), Two Sides of hell (about the Falklands but told from both sides) and the very best of all, if you can get it, The devils Guard (the tale of a regiment of SS at the end of the second world war ending up in indochina fighting for the french foreign legion).
Doubt you will get any of them in Audio format though.
Ezzy

Bavarinbrit , if you found my post rude i think i might point out i take great exeption to a profesional soldier being compared to a mass murderer , many people on here have and still are serving in our armed forces . I find it very hard to belive an engineer would to asked to act as an air marshal with their being so many trained service men available for this work , I must point out i have served in comanchio troop 45 comando royal marines , some of my friends still are and wouldnt like you making simmilar comparisons . Your out of order . I wont be drawn into this any further .

Just started listening to the Marine Sniper audio book, 2 hours in, fantastic listen, not just about sniping but also long rage target shooting.

Regards

Andrew

Just started listening to the Marine Sniper audio book, 2 hours in, fantastic listen, not just about sniping but also long rage target shooting.

Regards

Andrew

Oh thats right the very two things that have absolutely nothing to do with Deer Stalking, Remember thats Deer we are Stalking from close range, where the skill is, not from 200,300,400----800 1500 meters it can go on and on ,A trained observer can do the same with Artillery or Mortars which usually happens ,Oh and before someone brings it up yes all snipers are mfc's or afc's what ever you like amongst other things that don't fit in with Deer Stalking .

Oh thats right the very two things that have absolutely nothing to do with Deer Stalking, Remember thats Deer we are Stalking from close range, where the skill is, not from 200,300,400----800 1500 meters it can go on and on ,A trained observer can do the same with Artillery or Mortars which usually happens ,Oh and before someone brings it up yes all snipers are mfc's or afc's what ever you like amongst other things that don't fit in with Deer Stalking .

WS
Thats why it is is posted in the General discussion Forum page is it not ?. Just because it has nothing to do with deer stalking does not mean that some of us on this forum do not have an intrest in other forms of shooting and weaponry

WS
Thats why it is is posted in the General discussion Forum page is it not ?. Just because it has nothing to do with deer stalking does not mean that some of us on this forum do not have an intrest in other forms of shooting and weaponry

Duh you don't say ,this subject is done to death every couple of months by wannabe snipers .as is a few other subjects if it is that interesting a subject as the site admin to have a sniping forum ,it is a boring subject .

Which I won't go into on a open forum .

Excellent read and a very dedicated man who thought nothing of putting his life on the line.Wee bit off track but if anyone interested in true forces books try Simon Murrays An Englishman In The Foreign Legion.Brutal at times and really earned respect in the Regiment.

"I like shooting, and I love hunting. I never did enjoy killing anybody. If I don't get those *******s, then they're gonna kill a lot of those kids dressed up like Marines." Carlos Hathcock.

Those sound to me like the words of a reasonable man during war.

Last edited:
Back