Just bought a Chrony

204 Ruger

Managed to get a cracking deal on a used Chrony (Alpha model) including carry cases and printing system. Its great being able to send my home loads through and actually check the speed against the calculated ft/sec that the reloading manuals give. Pleased to say that so far they are pretty much where I expected. It makes the ballistics calculator sing with exactly the right numbers entered into the calculation.

Im planning to take it to the range on my nest trip so soem of the cahps shooting the old Russin Nagant 7.62 cal can have a crack and see how slow/quick their rounds are flying at..Just hope they can aim straight!!

Good fun.

I have one of these. Nice unit. I set it up in series with two other chrongraphs and measure actual ballistic coefficients of the bullets I use. If you can team up with another chronograph owner you can do this with most software.~Muir

I have one of these. Nice unit. I set it up in series with two other chrongraphs and measure actual ballistic coefficients of the bullets I use. If you can team up with another chronograph owner you can do this with most software.~Muir

If its good enough for Muir its defo good enough for me.....Funnily enough a mate has the same unit. To confirm are you saying set one at muzzle (or as close as) and another at 100 and 200 yards or so? I bet thats fun to set up, I had enough trouble getting it straight at 10ft away :)

Last edited:
Managed to get a cracking deal on a used Chrony (Alpha model) including carry cases and printing system. Its great being able to send my home loads through and actually check the speed against the calculated ft/sec that the reloading manuals give. Pleased to say that so far they are pretty much where I expected. It makes the ballistics calculator sing with exactly the right numbers entered into the calculation.

Im planning to take it to the range on my nest trip so soem of the cahps shooting the old Russin Nagant 7.62 cal can have a crack and see how slow/quick their rounds are flying at..Just hope they can aim straight!!

Good fun.

Brilliant pieces of kit. Let me check my loads againbst QL software models and was pretty surprised they were never more than 50 fps different.

Only issue is that they are not bullet proof. Our club unit got blown away when it was borrowed by a member - 308s do make a mess of them......

Brilliant pieces of kit. Let me check my loads againbst QL software models and was pretty surprised they were never more than 50 fps different.

Only issue is that they are not bullet proof. Our club unit got blown away when it was borrowed by a member - 308s do make a mess of them......

Yea a chap on here offered me one for a joke that had been shot..The one I bought was used by an air rifle user, he clipped the back of the metal frame with a pellett on his first outing. No real damage just a bit of paint missing...Aim high

If its good enough for Muir its defo good enough for me.....Funnily enough a mate has the same unit. To confirm are you saying set one at muzzle (or as close as) and another at 100 and 200 yards or so? I bet thats fun to set up, I had enough trouble getting it straight at 10ft away :)

Gosh! No! Set one up in front of the target at fifty meters from the first screen. If you have a well zeroed rifle you can aim at the bull and send the bullet over the second set of screens. Setting them up is a chore. I have a small pocket transit for leveling but you can eye ball it and with fiddling, get it right fairly quickly~Muir

Gosh! No! Set one up in front of the target at fifty meters from the first screen. If you have a well zeroed rifle you can aim at the bull and send the bullet over the second set of screens. Setting them up is a chore. I have a small pocket transit for leveling but you can eye ball it and with fiddling, get it right fairly quickly~Muir

Ha ha..- did wonder. I guess it could be done with a bit of careful planning and a very flat round!!could use a laser to line it up..have to say though I think I'd be putting mine at the 10ft marker. :)

One of the guys here bought a nice new chronograph a couple of years ago. First time out he put a 44mag through the electronics. I nearly p!ssed myself laughing....

One of the guys here bought a nice new chronograph a couple of years ago. First time out he put a 44mag through the electronics. I nearly p!ssed myself laughing....

Probably the one I was offered!!! Chrony actually do an exchange scheme, not sure how much and I guess depends on how much damage..it must happen a lot.

Back