Thread: Falkniven problem

Falkniven problem

Got a falkniven hunter with the laminated blade. I got this as a gift but have an issue with it. I use the same basic sharpeners i use for all my blades but the falkniven repeatedly chips along its whole edge. It is clear the high carbon core is chipping but i cant work out if i have the angle wrong or the core is too brittle.

I am no expert on knives but could really use advice or an idiots guide.

falkniven

Falknivens usually have a convex edge,not sure if yours does. If you have a look on u-tube there are some guides to sharpening this kind of edge.

fraser

sounds like you are tearing the blade by cutting it at too extreme an angle, try something gentle and basic like lansky turn box from hennie,
    The fallkniven is a premier bit of kit and I can skin and quarter a few red deer and never need to sharpen except with a strop. you are doing something very wrong. (IMHO) I have a stalker mate who got one from a guest and could not sharpen on an oil stone due to convex grind, had it shaving his arm in 5 minutes.

mine is an F1 with 3G blade.
    Last edited by 308boy; 26-07-2011 at 20:31.

The only problem with the Falkniven is that it makes other knives obsolete.

The mid layer should be soft not hard.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I totally agree. My normal gralloch blade is a Bark River which is shaving sharp and deeply convex in profile. Will try another sharpener. I agree the falk is a lovely blade so pretty annoyed i have stuffed it.

Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    sounds like you are tearing the blade by cutting it at too extreme an angle, try something gentle and basic like lansky turn box from hennie,
    The fallkniven is a premier bit of kit and I can skin and quarter a few red deer and never need to sharpen except with a strop. you are doing something very wrong. (IMHO) I have a stalker mate who got one from a guest and could not sharpen on an oil stone due to convex grind, had it shaving his arm in 5 minutes.

mine is an F1 with 3G blade.
    Meant to ask. What do you use and would the lansky turn box provide a suitable angl

Quote Originally Posted by accurate View Post
    I totally agree. My normal gralloch blade is a Bark River which is shaving sharp and deeply convex in profile. Will try another sharpener. I agree the falk is a lovely blade so pretty annoyed i have stuffed it.
    British blades forum, contact "Longstrider" he will sort it out again.

Neil.

Lansky turn box, will sharpen anything very quickly and you have a choice of 20 or 25 degrees, cost you 18.95 delivered and although it may not look much, it will surprise you.

Bet you were using a bladetech!!!