Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zero change dependent on type of ground

Zero change dependent on type of ground

Looking for some advice/help....

I took part in a BDS shooting competition last Sunday at the range at Ponteland. The first course of fire was 4 shots at 200 yards off the bipod (I use a Harris bipod). The ground on the firing point was gravel and my first two shots were 6 inches low. I had put the first one down to user error but after the second which was 1/4 inch from the first I guessed it was the ground which was making the difference. I moved forward to allow the bipod to rest on the grass and the shot placement was back to normal.

I realise now I should have used the grass to start with but when out stalking you don't often get to chose the type of ground to rest the rifle on so would appreciate any tips which will help smooth out the difference.

Mulac

Thats interesting. I can see the logic of why that is the case but probably would not have thought about it whilst out and about.

Surely a bipod should prevent this? The only way I can think of this happening is if you are looking either above or below the scope, incorrect eye relief. If you place the rifle in the same position every time you fire there should not be a problem. On the gravel did you find the front end sank a little but the but end did not bed in? I may be barking up the wrong tree!

perhaps the gravel was being compressed or moving under the force of the rifle firing.

I cannot see that it could make that much difference, I agree with Deer man about looking through the scope. You must make sure you always look through the scope in the same position. I think this may be the answer to your problem.

I was shooting on Maluc's left. I wiggled the rifle until the bipod feet disappeared into the gravel. My four shots were ok for elevation. However, in practice on Saturday with the same setup, at Carfraemill, all my shots were high (despite being spot on at the practice immediately before). Also, in previous practices my elevation seems to vary quite widely, despite working from one batch of reloaded AMax.

Has anyone tried changing from the rubber feet on the Harris bipod to something else? I have had a recommendation from the US to try golf balls, has anyone done this? I use the sitting bipod for practice and stalking. I note substantial variations in elevation when shooting from ~200yds. It seems to relate to the surfaces the bipod is resting on. Obviously I want to minimise these elevation changes as does Maluc. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks JCS

JCS
    Can you shed some more light on the golfballs thing? Real golfballs and if so How are they attached to the bipod?
    Many thanks
    Alan

I am assuming these are free floated barrels, and that the bipod is not effecting the fore end of the rifle. I have seen this many times before.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    JCS
    Can you shed some more light on the golfballs thing? Real golfballs and if so How are they attached to the bipod?
    Many thanks
    Alan
    Yes, real golf balls. How they are attached is what I am trying to find out? Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    I am assuming these are free floated barrels, and that the bipod is not effecting the fore end of the rifle. I have seen this many times before.
    My 243 is free floating with 1/8 inch clearance due to a lighter barrel now being used than the origninal varmint barrel. As per my gallery. Thanks JCS