Thread: Roe Rut: Triggers and timings

Roe Rut: Triggers and timings

From what I have read in recent posts it appears that the roe rut started early in the North and before the south. Is this normal or are we in a strange year?

What actually triggers the rut and do different age does come into oestrus at different times (eg mature does earlier)?

I saw the first signs of a rut today, when driving to work I saw a doe with two well grown kids being persued by a very handsome buck.

Other stalkers in the area say they have seen activity for the last couple of weeks.

In previus years all the activity I have seen has been in early August.

Comments appreciated.

D

Normal rutting activity is towards the end of July beginning August, rutting activity by Bucks can be seen from late June
    onwards but this is not the rut the rut is influenced by the Doe coming into season, just because a doe is being pursued by a Buck does not mean that the rut has started, he may be interested but she is not necessarily so.when the rut is started proper she will encourage him to chase her making a squealing noise whilst he does, the reason for the rut starting
    at different times in different areas is it can't start till a Doe comes into season.

I am sure that a lot of reports of early rutting activity are no more than eager Bucks, if you see them in the act or you hear her squeal while being pursued you can be pretty sure,

The fact is rutting is dictated by the Doe not the Buck she will go and find a Buck when she is ready, normally she will mate with the best mature Buck she can find after this initial mating she will mate with any Buck.
    Certain things can bring the rut on warm thundery weather for example why? I don't know, on the other hand in cold wet weather the rut can pass without much sign, kids are born the following spring so mating takes place it just seems to happen without all the normal activity, also if the rut coincides with a full moon a lot of the rutting activity will take place at night.

I was lucky enough to use a fairly high profile stalker as an AW for my level 2, he managed a very large forest in the borders.. when Rutting came up in conversation he recond that the Rut as many imagin it,with deer running and chasing all over the country was simply dependent on the deer population..
    He claimed that the rut of 2001 was far different than any other he had wittnessed due to the fact no deer had been culled due to the F&M shut down,there for there was more competition mating possibilities....

Thanks for the info,

I have seen rutting twice. Couple years ago whilst decoying we watched a buck chase a doe up and down a fence line for a good five minutes(early Aug). Last year whilst driving to work I saw a buck and doe doing figures of eight at breath taking speed on a big grass field next to the motorway, again in August.

Saw the same doe and followers in the same place this am, no buck in attendance!

D

Good post BT and you are bang on about some of the young bucks just being egar as we as stalkers also are. For me the still thundery weather is the key to good rutting the air is still and the sents and smells produced by the local does and bucks must linger for long periods and cause them to get really excited. If you watch a buck chasing a doe and he stops then she stops waiting for him to get his breath back you can be sure she is in season. Roe being mainly knockturnal will do most of there rutting in the cover of darkness.

JMO

It's a long time scince I did A level biology but I think the onset of oestrus is triggered by reducing day length. If I remember it correctly daylight inhibits production of a hormone that stimulates the production of oestrogen. That might explain why the north was before the south.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    It's a long time scince I did A level biology but I think the onset of oestrus is triggered by reducing day length. If I remember it correctly daylight inhibits production of a hormone that stimulates the production of oestrogen. That might explain why the north was before the south.
    Give the man a cigar!

Jim,

Experimental manipulation of roe does by exposure to 'long days' has been demonstrated to modify their pregnancy as well. Read all about it here, (Third abstract down):

http://www.roedeer.com/abstracts.htm

From my observations the Rut is at least 10days earlier than is the norm for my neck of the woods. Don't know why.. I would say it is in full swing right now, all the big boys have put in an appearance, they are coming to the call well, I shall be back out tonight.

Hammy

I have just returned from a weekend up in scotland with unfortunately no success.I nor my stalking companions saw no visible signs within the woodland along where we had been nor heard anything.
    When i visited last year it was mid august when i witnessed a buck following and licking a doe,so possibbly we were a little early perhaps i don't know.
    The weather was warm and maybe not as humid as my previous visit,Im thinking of another trip around the bank holiday may be better with the stags also.
    On another possitive note while walking along a river a doe sprang out, i ducked and had the buttalo call in my pocket which gave off a feep and she stoped in her tracks,20 yards or so and we just stood there watching each other for about 10min.