Thread: a bit of foxing and rabbit shooting. Saturday just gone

a bit of foxing and rabbit shooting. Saturday just gone

got a call from a friend Saturday just gone who asked if I fancied going out to look over some cut fields in the wilds of herefordshire.

he was going to take the 204 cf and I picked up the 17 fireball cf to take. because I wanted to shoot some rabbits for the ferrets. and if we see some foxes then that would be a bonus.

pulled intot he 1st field which is on a very big hilltop over looking other fields he has shooting permission on. great view point 360 degree's of safe downhill shooting.

had a rabbit at the bottom end of the field with he fireball about 120 yards. he then had a 140 yarder with the 204. i then shot one at around 130 yards with his 204.
    these rabbits where useless and only shot these 3 to leave for fox bait.

then moved on to some other ground. pulled into a half cut wheat field the far left of it was still uncut. but the right of it was full of rabbits. so got up on the top of the jeep and started to pop them off well there where heading back to the fence line.

ranges up to 130 yards. and most where head shots so could save for the freezer whatever was left was salvaged for the ferrets. there where still a lot more to go at. and i would think the uncut area was full of them. when we walked to pick the rabbits up the bushes in the fence line was riddled with them.

should have some great ferreting later in the year once the cover dies down. the 2 fields next to it haven been cut yet. and they always hold even more rabbit numbers.

we then went back to the 1st permission on the big hill had a call and sure enough foxy come through the bushes at the bottom. he was a bit twitchy and sloped off down the field. tot he bottom corner. ranged it and it was 195 yards. the 204 barked and the 39 grain blizking hit home. dropping him instantly.

we then went over to him. i turned it over and the 39 grain blizkings really done a number on him. you could see the rabbit he had mopped up earlier we had left for him.

moved off to a new farm and called a cub into 15 yards. my error really as I didn't have rifle ready. moved onto the next field on that shoot to see a fox going back into some brambles. my mate called and i shot him off the roof of the 4x4 with the 17 fireball around 130 yards. this dog fox was heavier then he looked in the picture on the right. and had a very big head on him.

in all 2 foxes and 12 rabbits. not bad really for the little bits of permission we went on. soon as the crops are cut there will be tons of ground to go at.

Just goes to show little bits of permission can be quite productive, sounds like it will keep you busy for a while Jay.
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    Just goes to show little bits of permission can be quite productive, sounds like it will keep you busy for a while Jay.
    hi mate there are pretty big permission. but only a section of them are cut at the moment. in the next month should have it all back to shoot over.

my friend still has a 2500 acre place at ross to sort out with gamekeeper. to shoot the foxes over.

hopefully he will get back to him on that soon

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    got a call from a friend Saturday just gone who asked if I fancied going out to look over some cut fields in the wilds of herefordshire.

he was going to take the 204 cf and I picked up the 17 fireball cf to take. because I wanted to shoot some rabbits for the ferrets. and if we see some foxes then that would be a bonus.

pulled intot he 1st field which is on a very big hilltop over looking other fields he has shooting permission on. great view point 360 degree's of safe downhill shooting.

had a rabbit at the bottom end of the field with he fireball about 120 yards. he then had a 140 yarder with the 204. i then shot one at around 130 yards with his 204.
    these rabbits where useless and only shot these 3 to leave for fox bait.

then moved on to some other ground. pulled into a half cut wheat field the far left of it was still uncut. but the right of it was full of rabbits. so got up on the top of the jeep and started to pop them off well there where heading back to the fence line.

ranges up to 130 yards. and most where head shots so could save for the freezer whatever was left was salvaged for the ferrets. there where still a lot more to go at. and i would think the uncut area was full of them. when we walked to pick the rabbits up the bushes in the fence line was riddled with them.

should have some great ferreting later in the year once the cover dies down. the 2 fields next to it haven been cut yet. and they always hold even more rabbit numbers.

we then went back to the 1st permission on the big hill had a call and sure enough foxy come through the bushes at the bottom. he was a bit twitchy and sloped off down the field. tot he bottom corner. ranged it and it was 195 yards. the 204 barked and the 39 grain blizking hit home. dropping him instantly.

we then went over to him. i turned it over and the 39 grain blizkings really done a number on him. you could see the rabbit he had mopped up earlier we had left for him.

moved off to a new farm and called a cub into 15 yards. my error really as I didn't have rifle ready. moved onto the next field on that shoot to see a fox going back into some brambles. my mate called and i shot him off the roof of the 4x4 with the 17 fireball around 130 yards. this dog fox was heavier then he looked in the picture on the right. and had a very big head on him.

in all 2 foxes and 12 rabbits. not bad really for the little bits of permission we went on. soon as the crops are cut there will be tons of ground to go at.
    Sounds to me like you had a good night
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

was a good night dave. lots more to come this year i think. once its all cut