Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Still Using 4x32?

Still Using 4x32?

I was out with an acquaintance the other evening and got no end of earache from him over the Zeiss Diatal-C 4x32 "museum piece" as he called it on my elderly .308. I love it for woodland roe and fallow because it is light, low over the bore, crystal clear, bombproof (never had to adjust it in years), has a wide field of view and I can see the target all the way through the shot and follow-through. I also like to stalk in close and have never taken a beast more than about 130 yds away, so it does me fine. Then I thought about it and realised that its a good while since I saw another one on a stalking rifle. So, am I the only one left? My Dad and his pals used nothing else 40 years ago - in the woods and on the hill!

Anyone else still using one or is it really me who is the "museum piece"? (I'm not anti big scopes - I've got a Pecar Champ 6x45 on my HMR!!!)

Started with a 4x, then using more magnification was frowned on.

I now use 6x or more to match the binoculars.

But the eyes have aged since I started, my advice would be 6x or more.

But the important thing is what works for you, a combination that works is priceless, if it isn’t fashionable today it likely will be tomorrow.

Hi there Mackensen, no your not the only one left, I have a swarovski Habich Nova 4 x 32 light, its acurate great stability and high precision quick to take off with the Apel mounts, I want to sell it if you know anyone who is interested or I would swap for Swaroski binoculars. Don't think they are that old.

cjm - I know what you mean - my eyes are fine (I'm 61) my arms just aren't quite long enough to read the paper! I love my 6x Pecar on the .17 too, for rabbits etc, but the old Zeiss is staying on the old .308 for the time being ...

Roe Man - you've made my day although the chap I was with me told me "I couldn't give a 4x32 away to a serious stalker these days". But I'm sure there will be a wise buyer out there for your Swaro Habicht, though!

Well I also have some similar scopes like a Khales 4L2, Pecar 4x36 and a rail mount Zeiss 4x32....

I have a couple of rail mounted Zeiss scopes in 4 power with No 1 reticule - hard to fault them for woodland stalking.

I have a S&B 4x36 on my 22LR, it used to be on my 308Win. Light, clear bombproof optics, point and shoot. I have a 4x on the 22LR, a 7x on the 308, a 2,5-10 on the 6.5x55 and a 3-12 on the 222.
    Atb Toby

Interesting thread. I'm in the process of swapping rifles. I'm buying a s/h varberger 6.5x55, which comes with apel mounts and a lisenfield 1.5-6x42 scope. I was concerned that the mounts won't be high enough for my S&B 8x56, but I might now leave the lisenfield in place; the body is a bit tatty, but the optics are very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Interesting thread. I'm in the process of swapping rifles. I'm buying a s/h varberger 6.5x55, which comes with apel mounts and a lisenfield 1.5-6x42 scope. I was concerned that the mounts won't be high enough for my S&B 8x56, but I might now leave the lisenfield in place; the body is a bit tatty, but the optics are very clear.
    Actually the Lisenfeld are good scopes. Have used a 3-9x42 for years and in 2009 acquired a 6x42 and last year another 3-9x42 that has never gotten fitted and due to the "troubles" I might have to sell this one to help with costs Just be aware that Lisenfeld came with 1" and 26mm tubes. The one I have sitting in the cabinet is a 1" tube the two on rifles have 26mm tubes.

My Zeiss I have never fitted as yet but it was destined to go on the Mannlicher Shoenauer. The scope needs a service as the elevation turret is seized ...................................... Ahhhhh well I USED to have a 4x32 Zeiss in it's leather AKAH case but it appears that Mr plod liked the look of it and it's gone along with the 3-7x35 Pecar as I said I have never had it fitted to a rifle but it's gone. They left other scopes like the Lisenfeld, the Khales 4L2, Zeiss Jena ZF6/SC and Tasco Titan 3-9x42 .

Scopes !

Just a quick question, anybody still shoot with open sights these days.