Thread: When does deer calling not work?

When does deer calling not work?

Does using a buttalo etc still work for Roe outside of the rut?

If so, what would you suggest as a calling method for Bucks at this time fo year, and then for Does when the Buck season ends?

Regards, S.

Snowstorm,

Calling Roe is not quite as straight forward as using a call for other species.

Generally speaking a doe will respond well to a fawn squeak (or fiep) in early and mid summer when she is likely to have fawns her self. I have had does come steaming in, with her fawns at foot, so in some cases she is obviously responding to sheer maternal instinct rather than a perceived threat to her own fawns. The does response to the fawn fiep tends to decrease a the older the fawns get and the more times she is tricked by stalkers!

Calling the Buck directly with a doe fiep or terror call is a little more tricky.

This is because these sounds are only made by the doe when she is in season and is ready to mate and looking for a buck, or is in the process of being actively pursued by a buck and matting is about to take place.

These doe sounds are actually only a secondary alert to a buck though. The primary sense which tells him the does are in season and ready to mate is scent ie he can smell they are in season.

This is compounded by the fact a Roe does only comes into season once a year and for a very limited period.

Because of this, using a doe call outside of the rut is considered counter productive as the bucks know their are no does in season and you are simply desensitizing them to call and in effect giving them an education meaning they are less likely to respond in future...

Regards,

Pete

Good advice, Pete. Much appreciated. I shall wait in silence!

Sometimes you can get a false rut in September with Roe, and using a call can work at the time. I have seen it, used it, and had results using a Buttalo, especially in Northumberland. Three years back the Roe had a false rut in the area I was stalking and I called a Buck out, so to did the resident stalker on the estate who had been there for over 25 years.

Otherwise leave alone until next season.

If you want to call out Jap Sika, and their rut is on at present, use an Acme Predator call with the end knocked out. If you blow it really hard you can get the pitch right and drop it away it sounds like a Stag calling. I have used it over many years and taken a good number of Sika using this. The other call to try is a Screree Elk call, although I personally could never get on with this call, but I know the FC boys in Scotland have used it with great effect.

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc
    Sometimes you can get a false rut in September with Roe, and using a call can work at the time. I have seen it, used it, and had results using a Buttalo, especially in Northumberland. Three years back the Roe had a false rut in the area I was stalking and I called a Buck out, so to did the resident stalker on the estate who had been there for over 25 years.
    The so called "false Rut" is a very interesting but little understood/researched phenomenon in Roe.

I've heard it put down to doe fawns maturing exceptionally fast so they come into season early and effectively out of their usual sync..Another suggestion is that its connected to the condition of the does in the summer, the idea that after giving birth, the does for some reason don't put on or retain enough body weight for them to come into season at the normal time, but after a suitable period of feeding in the summer, they make the weight and hence you get the false rut.

I've no idea of either idea is accurate, or if its down to something else entirely, its just another aspect of Roe that makes them such interesting and amazing creatures...

Regards,

Peter

To be quite honest Pete, I had never really heard of it until about 6 years ago. It was whilst talking to a very good friend of mine who was the head stalker for the Duke of Northumberland.

The first time I saw this in action was whilst out with him about 4 years back if my memory serves me correct.

On an invite I was out stalking with him and he reckoned that a false rut was on and produced a Buttolo, and within 45 minutes of sitting by a small stream I had a Buck in the bag, that had come to the call. Following on from this event, I used a call to effect the following year, but since then I have not seen any reason to use it as the Roe in Sussex this year where hard at it for about a week, and thats all. Same as last year