Which rifle is better.

Stuart 243

Hi i currently use a 243 for both deer shooting and foxing mostly for roe deer but i am looking to put a variation on my licence as have got some fallow shooting in suffolk. I was going to go for a 6.5x55 or a 30-06 not sure which one to go for any opinions?

Based upon simple logic I would go to the 30-06 just because the 6.5 is 0.264 and so not a lot bigger than your 243 so it might be nice to go for something significantly different.

On the other hand the 6.5 gets a great reputation.

Being sensible I would consider local ammo availability or if you reload then component availability. Buy something that you can get a reliable and consistent local supply of ammo or components as it is practical stuff like this that can make a rifle a real pain, or a pleasure, to live with.

As stated the 243 will do the job on fallow. I cannot see the point in getting a 6.5X55 when you have a 243. I would advise getting a 30.06 if you wish to increase your armoury, I prefer a 30.06 on fallow to a 243 as it is a slower round. I have had one for over 20 years; it will also cope with Reds and Boar. I was told and it appears correct that the 30.06 is the most common calibre in the world and if a broad you can get ammunition at most gun shops. The first thing I shot with a 30.06 was a fox, used a 220grn round nose. I was after boar in Checz. Very humane.

I've shot fallow with .243 and .308 and there's no question that the .30 is better at knocking them over. Like above the 30-06 is ideal for the piggies if you can get into Europe for a play.

I have a 6.5 which I had as my first rifle, it is outstanding for foxes to fallow depending on the bullet.

But as you already have a .243, which was designed as a varmint :fox: round, I would say go for the 30-06 :stag: which will give you a wonderful balance.

The .243 will shoot bullets from 55gn to 110gn, the 30-06 will shoot 110gn to 220gn. It must be very nearly the ideal combination.

Simon

For me, make, model and caliber always was a question of feeling comfortable and thereby optimizing my precision . Shooting is a personal matter, and the only other reasons for choosing caliber has been some national limitations, price and local (including Places you travel to) availability. Don´t buy anything on my advice, try as many as possible, then make your own decision.
I used to have a M1 Carrabin .30 for roe, but it was outlawed here (Denmark)due to insufficient joule. Now I use 3006, lot of joule, but I own it for the odd moose. Not really cost effective. Basically, it feels right for me.

I really do like the 6.5x55 and if you were planning to change your .243 that's what I'd be backing. As you want to keep the .243 though, the '06 is the obvious choice. It has quite a lot more power than both the .243 and 6.5 and will broaden your quarry capabilities to pretty much anything in the world other than the big 5!

I wouldn't keep the .243 and buy a 6.5. Although very different, they're too similar.

Back