Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hi im after a rifle for manily foxin and for deer shooting any idea please

hi im after a rifle for manily foxin and for deer shooting any idea please

hi im after a rifle for manily foxin and for deer shooting (up to reds) any idea please

Quote Originally Posted by gonefoxin View Post
    hi im after a rifle for manily foxin and for deer shooting (up to reds) any idea please
    Is that when you go out in the winter only wearing a t-shirt???

Are you asking about a rifle type/manufacturer or a calibre because you are no doubt about to be inundated with ideas and suggestions...

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Everyone will have opinions here, If I had a .243, I'd say, that's upto the job (Which it is), If I had a .308, I'd say the same, (Because it is). I now have a 22-250 (Can't shoot Reds/Sika/Fallow with that), I also have a .270, I can shoot everything with that........

Look at what's available, then stocks of ammunition......Everyone will say good about their calibers, that's what they have them.

.270, fast and flat 130gr......
    .243, fast and flat, will shoot 55gr, fast and flat for foxing, will shoot 100gr for Reds/Sika/Fallow

Good Luck, I changed my first rifles/calibres after a couple of years as my needs changed..........Now have everything covered.

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

The 243 is a good starting point, low recoil, cheaper ammo for lots of practice, lots available so rifles are cheapish all shooting ground will be cleared for it good all round calibre .....you will no doubt end up changing but its legal for everything.

I started with 243, now selling it as it wasn't what I wanted for foxing and have just bought a sako finnlight 25-06 for the deer, its become a middle calibre i want use......223 and 25-06 is my current set up......but again one rifle to start 243

All I would say is that some forces may not pass certain calibres for fox. I know mine is reluctant with .308 for example.

.25-06 has to be worth a look for what you ask if you don't care whether long or short action. Taking nothing away from the above suggestions though...

Well for the foxing side of it the .243 really takes some beating. For deer though I don't like it personally so would try to steer you towards something else. Also, in an ideal world you'd use the same bullet for fox and deer to save messing about.

I'd lean towards something in 6.5mm/.264. 6.5x55 or .260 Remington would be what I would go for every time as they don't struggle to shoot 100gr+ bullets well but are still on the small side and easier to justify for foxing.

my fox/deer dual purpose rifle is a 6.5 but I can shoot fox whilst deer stalking with the others (308 and 7mm). .243 would be the minimum really but personally I would go for either a 25/06 or a 6.5.

Quote Originally Posted by gonefoxin View Post
    When I was looking at the same problem of a rifle for deer and fox (i.e. specifically going out after foxes rather than any foxes that I saw while stalking deer) after a lot of research I choose the .25-06.

With 75/85gr loads it is devastating on foxes and the 117gr have been equally effective on Fallow and Roe, I haven't shot any Reds with it, but friends of mine do.

When selecting a calibre make sure that you check the local availability of ammo.

You should also take a look at the Home Office Guidance that suggests what Calibres your FLO 'should' approve for foxing and stalking.

With 75/85gr loads it is devastating on foxes

My experience has been that the 25/06 is pretty devastating on everything!!