Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Helmets and quad bikes

SD Regular

Helmets and quad bikes

Does any one know the legal requirements for riding a quad on land with no helmet ?

I was out yesterday and had an accident while crossing a stream on the fell side the bike with me on it and rifle did a 360 . I HAVE A BLACK EYE AND SEVERAL BRUISED RIBS AND A WIFE WHO WANTS TO SEE THE BACK OF THAT BLOODY THING THAT BLOCKS THE GARAGE UP .
    Before any one asks NO the quad is not for sale

A tap room technician told me last night while i was having my medication that the law is, helmets are a legal requirement while off road .
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

No laws related to any motor when on private ground, the only thing is that if you are employed you may fall foul of the Health & Saftey.
    If you are on private land but a Public Footpath or anywhere where the public have lawful access you will need insurance to use it. (Section 143 Road Traffic Act).

No laws regarding the wearing of a helmet on private ground but you would fall foul of health and safety if you were using the quad in employment. Does not matter if this is self employed. I would also think that if a person was fatally injured any insurance company would be questioning training and safety equipment.

You dont need too wear a helmet on the road or off-road legally on quad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    No laws regarding the wearing of a helmet on private ground but you would fall foul of health and safety if you were using the quad in employment. Does not matter if this is self employed. I would also think that if a person was fatally injured any insurance company would be questioning training and safety equipment.
    This is spot on.
    One of our chaps was out recently checking the sheep on a quad without a helmet and was spotted by a H & S bod who was doing an inspection at a neighbouring farm. He came round reading the riot act looking for the non helmeted rider and waited for over an hour for him to return before he gave up. Someone had warned our chap what was going on so he went next door for a coffee.

Low and behold we were suddenly scheduled for a H&S inspection !!.

Health and Safety say that everyone who travels in a Argocat must wear a helmet and have a seat with a seatbelt !

Quote Originally Posted by Husky View Post
    Health and Safety say that everyone who travels in a Argocat must wear a helmet and have a seat with a seatbelt !
    Can you post the url for this gem? Thanks JCS

Did my last Argo/sit in atv course in 2008 and the trainer /examiner was quite addament about this to the point where he nearly cancelled the course because no-one had a helmet.
    Ive still got two leaflets, HSEs Agriculture Information Sheet No33 and Booklet 702, they mention seatbelts for poerators and passengers.
    Having said all that ive still had three stags and five people in a argo loads of times !

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/ais33.pdf this does mention seat belts for Argos, but not helmets.

Does anyone know where I can do an Argo/sit in course near to Edinburgh/A9? Thanks JCS

The use of quad bikes supplied by employers is on a knife edge at the moment especially when lone working come into the equasion too. I think that if there is one more serious accident or fatality then the HSE and insurance companies will do all they can to prevent thier use.

For years they have tried to get roll over protection systems fitted but, thankfully, have listened to advice that it is better to turn a bike over and be thrown clear than turn a bike over and be crushed by the roll cage.

A hill stalker told me that at least once a year one of his lads turns an Argo over, before they had roll cages everthing just fell out as it turned turtle, you rolled it back over and off you went. Now that they have roll cages and canopies, it just keeps rolling until it gets to the bottom of the Glen or meets something to stop it!