.243 N160 loads

bewsher500

I am struggling to find any load data for N160 under 75gn VMax for 243.

Lee skips N160 for 75gn bullets despite having details for 70 and 80gn
VV dont list a 75gn, just a 77gn which they also skip N160 for despite listing load data for 70gn and 77gnHP.

The 77gn HP load is obviously pretty close but i notice that VMax loads seem to be different in some listings compared to the same weight bullets in SP/HP.

It is not a big deal as I only have a handful of 75gn but I would like to have a VMax load in future and if I can use N160 it saves me getting another powder

anyone help?

In the hornady manual it gives a starting load of 41.5gr and a max load of 45.1gr but work up to these loads gradually atb paul

ah great, I dont have that one and it is not online.
I would buy some N140 if I actually thought I would use it. its just an idea to use up some 75gn vmax I inherited, thought they might make a good fox/crow destroyer!

im in the same position as you but im working on a .243AI load using vit n160 75gr hollow points,like you say the one cal book state most loads except n160 for that bullet,i asked a chap on another forum who knows his stuff and recomends for my load 47gr n160 behind 75gr hollow points,but that might be too much for a standard .243....before i was using 38.6gr n140 behind them and they shot ok......

There is a load for an 80 gr FMJ. Why not start half way up the spread - say 42 gr n160 - and work from there?

Mate I load 42.8gr in my 80gr heads with really good results ,i ran 75gr vmax through the prog I use and it gives 43.3 as the optimal load ,thats a 86% load 50.3 is the max (100%) load .hope this helps buddy.

awesome.
I fell foul of a "guestimate" load based on the average between 80 and 70gn Lee/Hodsons load data

ran two shots through that were clearly too low and didn't have enough pressure to seal the cartridge and the case was all sooty when ejected.
still went where it was meant to go though bizarrely!!

IMG_4222.jpg

Mate I load 42.8gr in my 80gr heads with really good results ,i ran 75gr vmax through the prog I use and it gives 43.3 as the optimal load ,thats a 86% load 50.3 is the max (100%) load .hope this helps buddy.

had a quick play around with this tonight.
I actually put a 42.5gn load though on the last try out and got a blowback (sooty cartridge)
Have loaded some more at that level but seated the bullets a bit deeper and some incremental higher loads to try them out.

at 48gn it becomes a compressed load which is a first for me and makes me a bit nervous!
hope to have a crack on Tuesday.

Back