Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New rifle, but needs bedding

New rifle, but needs bedding

I bought a new rifle through my local RFD from sportsman dorchester (never again), the rifle is a Vanguard synthetic, when the rifle arrived it had a wood stock, I told RFD that it was the wrong stock and he told me that it was the right one so I took it home, on Tuesday I had a phone call from the RFD to say that it was wrong and that the rifle in my posession (sporter/hunter) was 200 dearer what did I want to do, to swap the rifle was going to be a pain in the arse, it meant applying for another variation, another 26 and weeks of waiting, so I asked him if he could swap stocks, yes, that was OK.

So now I have the rifle, stock and all. This is where my problem comes, the vanguard has a bedded action and a floated barrel, mine hasn't so I now have to float the barrel and bed the stock/action, I have two part epoxy resin so what I need now is to know how much clearance/float is required between barrel and stock, cheers fellas.......callie

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    ..... Tuesday I had a phone call from the RFD to say that it was wrong and that the rifle in my posession (sporter/hunter) was 200 dearer what did I want to do.....
    I would have told him it was his/sportsman's mistake and they could fe#k off.

So now you have a rifle with a poorly fitted stock which is not as described? And you are going to try and fix it yourself and void any warranty you might still have on a shitty deal?
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

just about to do a deal with sportsmans dorset ,sending my trade in rifle via my local rfd ,what do i need to be aware of ? dealing with rob at dorset seemed an ok guy

Well for one thing I would not deal with the Sportsman......................... been there done that got the T-Shirt. Luckily not over a gun.

great had 2 rifles before but this is the first time i chopped in one against a new one !!!

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    I bought a new rifle through my local RFD from sportsman dorchester (never again), the rifle is a Vanguard synthetic, when the rifle arrived it had a wood stock, I told RFD that it was the wrong stock and he told me that it was the right one so I took it home, on Tuesday I had a phone call from the RFD to say that it was wrong and that the rifle in my posession (sporter/hunter) was 200 dearer what did I want to do, to swap the rifle was going to be a pain in the arse, it meant applying for another variation, another 26 and weeks of waiting, so I asked him if he could swap stocks, yes, that was OK.

So now I have the rifle, stock and all. This is where my problem comes, the vanguard has a bedded action and a floated barrel, mine hasn't so I now have to float the barrel and bed the stock/action, I have two part epoxy resin so what I need now is to know how much clearance/float is required between barrel and stock, cheers fellas.......callie
    Sorry to hear this...just out of interest why would you need to get a variation...surely they didn't give you the wrong calibre rifle as well as the wrong stock? If so they need stringing up.

Quote Originally Posted by stevienicknacks View Post
    Sorry to hear this...just out of interest why would you need to get a variation...surely they didn't give you the wrong calibre rifle as well as the wrong stock? If so they need stringing up.
    No, you're right, it wouldn't have cost me as it would have been a one-for-one variation but would probably take about 3 months, Staffs are really behind on renewals and variations.

send it back and get what you ordered and paid for rest is ******** IMHO.

bedding and floating is not a big deal, you might as well get pillars as well and do it right while you are there but you are then drilling out your brand new stock!!!!

use the tinternet and you tube for tutorials, http://www.scorehi.com/

I run some tape round the barrell at the end of the stock and just before the action until you get the desired clearance even and leave it in place until the bedding process is complete. 1/8 th inch seems to be the accepted clearance in old money (3mm in decimal) but it is not a big deal as long as it clears the stock evenly.

good luck

I would be sending it back pronto, your say'n you just bought a new rifle which was the wrong one through no fault of your own.

Your now changing stocks and going to bed the action. Which in turn is going to VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!! WAKE UP!!!

Surely if you get onto your local Licencing Branch and explained the situation (once again through no fault of your own.)

they could'nt help sort it out ASAP!!!!

Best of luck which ever way you go.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Hi 308boy, it's a long story and an even longer wait, all in all, taking waiting time from firearms admin and sportsman it's almost 8months and I was getting a bit p1ssed off with it, as I said the gun had already been registered to me which meant that I would've to apply for another variation if I sent it back, there's no pillars, just a square hole that a block under the barrel sits in and and is threaded for the front fixing bolt, that's where the epoxy resin has to go, at present the barrel/action sits tight into the stock, it's just that I didn't know how much clearance was required, I have no doubt about my ability to do it and I only want to do it once and get it right first time. Many thanks for explaining the process to me, cheers....callie