T8 Maintenance

Bramble

Hi i have a T8 on my Tikka 22.250 ,some say spray lots of WD 40 into it everytime it is shot through,some say leave it alone then it makes it quiter,any advice ,cheers

Hi i have a T8 on my Tikka 22.250 ,some say spray lots of WD 40 into it everytime it is shot through,some say leave it alone then it makes it quiter,any advice ,cheers

When wet I spray mine inside and out, if you use a neoprene cover take it off and dry it out. When I use it when dry I only tend to spray inside if I've shot more than 10 or so rounds. Not noticed any difference in persormance either way.

I dont get the whole spraying oil inside a moderator thing.

Do you ever actually see anything come out? They just fill up with nasty WD40. I have a pal that has a T8 that is half the age of mine, he religiously sprays WD40 in it, it has rotted from the inside out, mine hasnt got a touch of rust on it and its never had oil IN it since I bought it 5 years ago.

WD40 is a false economy, when it dries it leaves a sticky film which attracts and holds more dirt.

i dont get the whole spraying oil inside a moderator thing.

Do you ever actually see anything come out? They just fill up with nasty wd40. I have a pal that has a t8 that is half the age of mine, he religiously sprays wd40 in it, it has rotted from the inside out, mine hasnt got a touch of rust on it and its never had oil in it since i bought it 5 years ago.

Wd40 is a false economy, when it dries it leaves a sticky film which attracts and holds more dirt.
+1 :d

I use my T8 on .22.250 and .308, always give a squirt if its been shot through, i recon its 12 year old and had a couple of thousand shots through it, still as good as new to look at and works perfectly,dont know what its like inside, but no rattles......

maintenance

i have heard off lads that take out the bushing and stick it in dish washer and leave it on the stove to dry out when washed and give it a good shot of wd 40 when dry. dont know if i'd do it myself

my T12 is semi strippable and the oiled section wipes clean to show the stainless underneath.
not sure why WD40 would "dry" out but I do get your point about attracting the dirt, that is why I use it. makes cleaning easier as it is not baked on

My T8 has not recived any maintenance after 500+ rounds with no noticable change in sound reduction, have heard of people knocking them to dislodge debris.

My T8 is out in all weathers,after each trip it is taken off. At the end of the week it has WD40 sprayed inside and rolled about, crap does come out. The outside of the mod is then liberally sprayed with gun oil and the neoprene cover put back on. The WD inside dries so it won't cause any problems.
Al

I am in two minds about WD40 whilst it will expel moisture it does dry leaving a white sticky film its great for freeing
sticky locks but you need to oil after you have freed or it will end up sticking worse than ever, now whether this would affect a T8 I am not sure after all it has no moving parts, if its a case of WD or nothing WD is probably the lesser of two evils.

Is break-free not better from the usa , so im told much better than WD40 which ive allways been a fan of but ive sent for some break-free , whats the betting someone will say "you dont want to do that" .

Is break-free not better from the usa , so im told much better than WD40 which ive allways been a fan of but ive sent for some break-free , whats the betting someone will say "you dont want to do that" .

You don't want to do that. :D:D

All I have ever done with mine is take it off after every outing, give the outside a wipe over and then stand it on end on a radiator it seems to have with stood a few years of this treatment OK. I used to give it a squirt of WD40 but then when I fired it next there was a whole lot of smoke so I stopped using it.

John

I dont get the whole spraying oil inside a moderator thing.

Do you ever actually see anything come out? They just fill up with nasty WD40. I have a pal that has a T8 that is half the age of mine, he religiously sprays WD40 in it, it has rotted from the inside out, mine hasnt got a touch of rust on it and its never had oil IN it since I bought it 5 years ago.

WD40 is a false economy, when it dries it leaves a sticky film which attracts and holds more dirt.
I use WD40 because thats what the manufacturers instructions say to do, it is apparently to neutralise the residue left in the mod after firing.

Back