Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300WSM

300WSM

Does anyone use this calibre for deer or target (or both). I've read some good things (shoots flat and is hard hitting over reasonable distances) and some bad (not great accuracy with 180+gr rounds, the recoil is quite hard). Does anyone have any experience, good or bad to say report on it?

Re: 300WSM

Quote Originally Posted by Armo
    Does anyone use this calibre for deer or target (or both). I've read some good things (shoots flat and is hard hitting over reasonable distances) and some bad (not great accuracy with 180+gr rounds, the recoil is quite hard). Does anyone have any experience, good or bad to say report on it?
    My mate uses one for both deer and targets, he is shooting 155gn bullets for deer, I have shot it with a brake on and it kicked about the same as a 243 without. He seems to like it, but if I was going down that route I like the look of the 7mm WSM.

Best rgds

Tahr

I had a Blaser in 300wsm for a couple of years.
    I shot Roe, Boar, Reds and Fallow with it and I dont think any of them died any quicker than with my 30.06.
    Very accurate round in my blaser but with the moderator on it heated up very quick any more than 3 shots started to affect the group dramatically.
    With the moderator off it was quite harsh on the shoulder.
    I only ever used premium bullets, Swift sirocco's, Swift A frames or Nosler partitions and it still knocked the s***t out of everything (or should I say there was considerable carcass damage ) It also lost you magazine capacity because it is a short fat case.

Wayne

the moderator on here is called 300wsm.

he uses one. i was talking to him about it and he states it is flat and hard hitting, he is getting really high velocities from it. i seem to think 3400 with 150 gr?

It is so fast that you would get mega carcass damage without a really tough premium bullet like wayne suggests. however for long range shooting then it would be good.

buy a heavy rifle. my friend had a finnlight in 300wsm. it bashed him all over the place. he has gone back to .308 win. in 30 cal i believe .30-06 is a great round.

Brass will be getting hard to find aswell.

swampy

I have had a Blaser R-93 and an Encore in 300 WSM, and both shot very well and killed even better. I only shot Winchester Supreme 150 gr ballistic silvertips in mine, and they would do MOA or better if I did my part.

I killed several deer out to 300 yards, and every one dropped in its tracks.

Having owned a few 300 Win Mag rifles too, the felt recoil in the WSM seemed to be slightly less. Not unmanageable for sure.

Great deer calibre I have shot everything from roe upwards with mine I tried using premium bullets but they were a waste to both time and money.

Best results on both deer and paper is with Nosler Balistic tips either 150gr or now I have started using 125gr.

As for meat damage how much meat can you get off a 6" dia of the ribs of a deer of the top 2" of the neck.

I have never had any complaints about meat damage form any of the carcasses I have sold.

It is very accurate that I even use it for park shooting.

It is still very popular round for 1000yd F-Class so the case will be available for some time to come.

300wsm

300wsm said
    Great deer calibre I have shot everything from roe upwards with mine I tried using premium bullets but they were a waste to both time and money.

Best results on both deer and paper is with Nosler Balistic tips either 150gr or now I have started using 125gr.

As for meat damage how much meat can you get off a 6" dia of the ribs of a deer of the top 2" of the neck.

I have never had any complaints about meat damage form any of the carcasses I have sold.

It is very accurate that I even use it for park shooting.

It is still very popular round for 1000yd F-Class so the case will be available for some time to come.
    Hi 300wsm
    Why are premium bullets a waste of time and money?
    As for the carcass damage I was getting a huge amount of bruising and blood right up into the shoulders on fallow and I was using 180grn.
    What are the advantages of a 125/150 grn in a 300wsm? extremely fast for sure but won't the 180 grn be flatter once you get out to 300 yards.?

Wayne

A box of 50 BT's are about £10 / 50 against at least £30 / 50 for premium

Premium are generally harder to get hold of and the ones I have tried are no where near as accurate as BT's.

To-date I have not had a BT fail but have seen numerous well placed shots with premium bullets result in the animal running a long long way due to poor expansion and small exit wounds.

That is why for me premium bullets are a waste of time and money.

Give me a BT any day.

P.S.

If you are reading this Mr Nosler some free samples for all this 'free' plugging would not go amiss

Hi 300wsm
    I must admit I use Nosler B/t's in nearly everything. I love them. They are a bit harsh on the the carcass but things have got a habit if not running very far.
    I do like Swift A frames in my .375. My preferred load for the 300wsm used swift sirrocco's 165 or 180grn good on Boar and Red's but as I said on fallow there was a lot of bruising and blood right up through the shoulders. (but it was good fun)

Wayne

Regular Poster
    If anyone is concerned about recoil from the WSM range - forget it and email me mry716@hotmail.com.

I am presently using a 300 and 325 and even with 220 gr in an 8lb rifle (incl scope) it can be shot in one hand and best of all the barrel flip is so minimal I can see the shot strike PLUS the sound is percieved to be less than my fgriends 7x57 - although 'heavier'.

Canty promise an immeadiate response but i will reply
    see
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ght=cautionary