Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has any one done a moderator test recently

Has any one done a moderator test recently

I am about to buy a new set up, 243 X Bolt stainless and I'm going to buy a moderator, there have been a few new ones brought to the market in the last couple of years and I was wondering if there were any independent group tests that had done a like for like on them.
    I want to keep my setup as light and compact as possible, and was looking for a reflex over the barrel style if possible.
    What is a good dB reduction for a moderator ?

Regards
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hawksthorn View Post
    I am about to buy a new set up, 243 X Bolt stainless and I'm going to buy a moderator, there have been a few new ones brought to the market in the last couple of years and I was wondering if there were any independent group tests that had done a like for like on them.
    I want to keep my setup as light and compact as possible, and was looking for a reflex over the barrel style if possible.
    What is a good dB reduction for a moderator ?

Regards
    Dave
    I was going to buy an X bolt but when i screwed a predator p8 on it absolutely ruined the balance so i would go for the lightest possible.i thought the X bolt was a cracking rifle though.

bornfree

The problem you will have is that some Moderators are very good but very heavy, the T8 at 670g is a very good example.
    The only answer is that you will have to compromise.
    There are some very good, and light but forward mounting ones, the A-Tec CMM4 is a typical example at 220g.
    You will struggle to find a light 'over barrel' style moderator but the A-Tec Maxim comes well recommended at 370g.
    It is a right conundrum to which there is no real answer as each will have their own views based on what they have settled for.
    Sorry I can't be of more help, good luck in your search.

I would recommend trying before buying, hopefully youíll have an RFD locally who has a stock of the various mods and will let you try them on your rifle.
    Take your sticks, try each mod and see how they each affect the balance etc and itíll give you a better idea of what to go for.

I bought my first moderator (Third Eye Spartan) for my Tikka .243 without seeing it. The spec looked good, I wanted an overbarrel so not to add too much length & it had a reasonably quoted weight.

I was then in the market for a mod for my Tikka .270 and this time decided to try before buying.
    Took rifle to RFD and tried loads, off sticks, freehand etc and went for the .30 Cal ASE Jet-Z Compact. It wouldnít have been on my shortlist as I didnít want an ďend canĒ and it was quoted as being heavier.
    However, after trying it on the rifle, there was no noticeable different in weight or balance and it is a lovely compact mod, smaller diameter and doesnít add much extra length to the barrel.

In the field, the Jet Z wins hands down, very effective on the .270.
    The weight is not an issue for me & thatís it coupled with a 12-25 three draw Harris bipod. When coupled with a Z-Aim harness I can secure the rifle and walk all day with it no probs without it feeling unduly heavy.

I have now ordered a Jet Z for my .243 (in .25 Cal) and the Third Eye Spartan has been moved on.
    I noticed the Spartan wasnít as effective to the ear with sound suppression compared to quite a few different mods (friends use T8ís, T4ís and Northstars) and others have also commented on the effectiveness. This was an issue for me as our foxing duties are sometime on the ďurban fringeĒ where the less disturbance the better so I wanted a change.

Donít get me wrong, the Spartan is a really well engineered mod which ticked most of the boxes but in the end, the Jet Z performance in the field has won the day.

Youíll get loads of recommendations and I researched through the forum for a while but in the end Iím glad I get the Jet Z. Certainly at the top end of cost but worth it IMHO

Try before you buy would be my suggestion as it's a bugger deciding!!

Rb

+1 for the jet z, I have a browning a bolt and it feels perfectly balanced for me with it on I had a t8 before this and to be honest I wasnt that impressed with it. it started to rust after a few outings, I cleaned it religously after every outing. The jet z seems a solid built mod as well.

I had a T8 on a rifle I purchased and was very surprised at how loud it was.
    I already has a PES T12 Scout which may be heavier than most aluminium ones is only 2-3" longer than the barrel and due to it coming back down the barrel so far makes the balance issue less noticeable.

It is also much thinner than the T8 at 70+mm, fully stainless inside and out and to my ears very good at the part of it's job it is meant to be good at.
    It is a 6.5mm bore and use it on 5 calibres thereby saving myself a fortune in calibre specific mods!

not cheap though, think mine was £275 fitted by Steve Kershaw 4-5 years ago, I since bought a new bush for the 243 so it fits better.

I have 2 T12s, ones on my 6.5 and ones on my .223 and in the right conditions they are superb....note I say that as alot depends on the conditions around you, such as wind or humidity etc. All I can say is I remember my mate using one on his .243 about 280 yards from me on my ground and I thought james Bond had just shot a deer with a PPK as it was so quite and sounded so quiet. Like I say it depends on conditions at the time but one thing I will say is you can abuse them to hell , mines scratched all over now, get a clean every now and again and it doesnt let me down. Just remember aluminium cans can 'burn' and non stainless will rust, dont spray your mod with WD after use and dont ever let it sit on your rifle after use.....you will pit the crown, I learnt that one..

Pete

Review in July 2011 Gunmart, pm me if you want a copy.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    dont spray your mod with WD after use and dont ever let it sit on your rifle after use.....you will pit the crown, I learnt that one..
    I clean mine after a decent number of shots, strips to allow cleaning of the main chamber, its cleaned out and given a light coat of WD40 or similar, crown is cleaned and then it is refitted and put back on...in the cabinet.
    the oil coating doesnt produce huge plumes of smoke on firing and helps considerably on cleaning.

I have no carbon on the crowns and no pitting

I know what you mean about just leaving it on, but storage is one thing, clean storage another.