Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: friendly argument , your thoughts

friendly argument , your thoughts

my shooting mate and i have been tossing this about for weeks now , i say a higher mag scope would make it easier to hit a 1inch bull on a target say 6-24 x50 ,at 100 yds he says that a high mag scope makes wobble more pronounced than on a 4-12 x 40 and therefore more likely to miss i say hes a moron lol
    Last edited by Scots_stalker; 31-07-2011 at 10:05.

12 power is loads at 100 meteres,even when i shoot at 1000 meteres 12 is loads the only advantage of high mag at 100 meteres is to see the bullet holes in the paper,extra power = more wobble,less clarity,more shimer,plus heat haze,thats only one opinion,cheers.

so i am the moron lol

When I was a mere callow youth we (my friends and I) used 1.5-6x42 mildot scopes for shooting at a 1000yds, and everything inbetween.

Now that I am older I prefer something with a little higher magnification. But your mate is right about shake at high magnification, you can even see your pulse if you get it right.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by brian murphy View Post
    my shooting mate and i have been tossing this about for weeks now , i say a higher mag scope would make it easier to hit a 1inch bull on a target say 6-24 x50 ,at 100 yds he says that a high mag scope makes wobble more pronounced than on a 4-12 x 40 and therefore more likely to miss i say hes a moron lol
    It's not a straightforward question. A lot depends on the style of target and whether or not you can lock in on the bull at a low magnification. I know that my groups at x15 mag are smaller than at x7.5 when shot off the bipod with no rear bag. Another factor is breath control. I am not sure where or why wobble comes into the equation. When I am shooting loads for load development, I crank the scope up as high as conditions permit, but then I am using a rear bag.

The bottom line is you should go and try out the challenge, preferrably getting a 3rd party to do the shooting. Agree a target, take your rifle and a batch of ammo and shoot it at low, medium and high magnifications. Then report back.

Regards JCS

Highest scores on paper, at the ranges are normally achieved by those using high mag scopes, although the odd bod keeps up with them.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

high mag more movement but the target is bigger so only moves as much as less mag on smaller target....simples..

Personal preferance...

For me high mag is no use in the field because I find it difficult to aquire the target, unless I have it on low mag to start with then zoom in.
    At the range, I like to use a x24 scope using a bipod and rear bag to stop it shaking like a terrier, I find that my groups improve considerably with this set up. But for stalking I use a 3-9x50 set at x8 this allows me to aquire the target quickly off sticks yet still enough mag to ensure correct placement.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

The wobble is always there, the high mag just allows you to see it.

I have an 18x scope on my 22/250. At full power I can see my pulse.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

High mag will win every time on the range from a rested position, the bench rest people use 36x.

Seeing the wobble can help inform your hold.

For a deer rifle, use i the field high mag is rarely useful.

But what works for you is best.............