friendly argument , your thoughts

Scots_stalker

my shooting mate and i have been tossing this about for weeks now , i say a higher mag scope would make it easier to hit a 1inch bull on a target say 6-24 x50 ,at 100 yds he says that a high mag scope makes wobble more pronounced than on a 4-12 x 40 and therefore more likely to miss i say hes a moron lol :rolleyes:

Last edited:
12 power is loads at 100 meteres,even when i shoot at 1000 meteres 12 is loads the only advantage of high mag at 100 meteres is to see the bullet holes in the paper,extra power = more wobble,less clarity,more shimer,plus heat haze,thats only one opinion,cheers.

When I was a mere callow youth we (my friends and I) used 1.5-6x42 mildot scopes for shooting at a 1000yds, and everything inbetween.

Now that I am older I prefer something with a little higher magnification. But your mate is right about shake at high magnification, you can even see your pulse if you get it right.

Simon

my shooting mate and i have been tossing this about for weeks now , i say a higher mag scope would make it easier to hit a 1inch bull on a target say 6-24 x50 ,at 100 yds he says that a high mag scope makes wobble more pronounced than on a 4-12 x 40 and therefore more likely to miss i say hes a moron lol :rolleyes:

It's not a straightforward question. A lot depends on the style of target and whether or not you can lock in on the bull at a low magnification. I know that my groups at x15 mag are smaller than at x7.5 when shot off the bipod with no rear bag. Another factor is breath control. I am not sure where or why wobble comes into the equation. When I am shooting loads for load development, I crank the scope up as high as conditions permit, but then I am using a rear bag.

The bottom line is you should go and try out the challenge, preferrably getting a 3rd party to do the shooting. Agree a target, take your rifle and a batch of ammo and shoot it at low, medium and high magnifications. Then report back.

Regards JCS

high mag more movement but the target is bigger so only moves as much as less mag on smaller target....simples..:D

Personal preferance...

For me high mag is no use in the field because I find it difficult to aquire the target, unless I have it on low mag to start with then zoom in.
At the range, I like to use a x24 scope using a bipod and rear bag to stop it shaking like a terrier, I find that my groups improve considerably with this set up. But for stalking I use a 3-9x50 set at x8 this allows me to aquire the target quickly off sticks yet still enough mag to ensure correct placement.

The wobble is always there, the high mag just allows you to see it.

I have an 18x scope on my 22/250. At full power I can see my pulse.

High mag will win every time on the range from a rested position, the bench rest people use 36x.

Seeing the wobble can help inform your hold.

For a deer rifle, use i the field high mag is rarely useful.

But what works for you is best.............

I shoot my bushy at 24-30 mag on the range.... People say 'that's too much mag to keep still' what? :doh: wobble means you're not steady enough to begin with so sort out your support and body position then! :evil: Just because the wobble is less noticeable at lower mag doesn't mean it's not there. Better to see it, adjust to reduce and group like a mofo.

You can only hit well if you see well. If you see wobble, you can do something about it.
If you don't see wobble because of low magnification...you won't know why you don't shoot well.
I have no problems shooting deer with 20 mag, if the situation allows.

The other day I tried out a 50 mag sightron scope on the range, could see bullet holes at 600m was
an eye opener for me.

edi

Brian the higher the mag the more u see any movement that you have which could be a good or bad thing depending if you want to fix any errors in your posture.

The wobble is always there, the high mag just allows you to see it.

I have an 18x scope on my 22/250. At full power I can see my pulse.

Yikes. I can see my heart beat at 6 x mag. Either i have a strong heart or i need to chill out a bit. I will go for the chilling out as what better way to chill out than go stalking:D

You are right more mag means you can see the wobble.......If you go on your mates theory "can't see it so its not there" then shut your eyes, you won't wobble at all then!!

The rifle will not shake more with higher mag it will just be more aparant thus giving you the chance to do somthing about it!!

Dave

Twenty mag? 12 Mag? None of you shoot off hand, I take it. About 4X is all I can handle on big game, and need nothing larger. I think anything over 6X in the field is useless. Punching paper? Who cares. I don't like the wobble I get from larger mag scopes from the bench but I like the clarity. Fifteen X is my top target magnification.~Muir

I like 8 power..I've always used 8x56 fixed power scopes. They've never been too much, nor too little, either in the field or on the range for me.
If you're young & wobble, address your shooting technique - but when you're an ageing old git, you've got to try much harder!! :old:

Back