Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What book for a beginner to learn ?

What book for a beginner to learn ?

Looking to pick up a book to do a bit of reading about stalking.

Trying to learn more about it before I give it a go, have been looking at

Deer Watch: A Field Guide

Deer Watch: A Field Guide: Amazon.co.uk: Richard Prior: Books

I have permission to shoot a farm with fallow deer on it, there farmer says the numbers are higher than ever. I have never stalked deer before and wanted to learn more about it, then will go onto the land and scout it out for the deer

Anyone recommend any good books to pick up ? The book I looked at apparantly mentions about all the species of deer, includin identification and all sorts

you may want to buy a couple of books then....I am a newbie and found the BDS book really great and it is the basis for DSC1.
    http://www.bds.org.uk/BOOKD19
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Best to find someone local to show you the ropes. You will learn a lot quicker.

Atb Steve

I have a mentor who I am going to shoot this farm I have with and also arranged to go along for a stalk with someone off this site

Just thought it may help to read up on it a bit aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthug87 View Post
    I have a mentor who I am going to shoot this farm I have with and also arranged to go along for a stalk with someone off this site

Just thought it may help to read up on it a bit aswell
    spot on way to learn books give the idea but nothing like some practical help

hibigthug would recommend you take your level 1 and then get your level 2.As well as going out with somebody with experience.you will learn more if you spend time out in the field observing the deer.Get to know the habbits and location odeer throughout the year.good shooting logburner

[QUOTE=logburner;243514]hibigthug would recommend you take your level 1 and then get your level 2.

What would that prove. He has a mentor he has land .

Atb steve

Unless you need the book and bits of paper to raise your level in the high seat to get a better shot, spend your money on getting hands on experience

This is what I was thinking! I know people who have done DSC level 1 and say they didn't learn anything extra than they could of just from reading a book!

When you factor in the course and costs of going to / staying there its a few hundred ! Id rather book a couple stalks and get proper experience than a piece of paper that doesn't really prove anything!

I might do the course some day but there's no rush! It aint cheap and if you do it and then find it's not for you it would be a big waste!

I think most do level 1 just to get a deer calibre. As you already have one use the money on paid stalks on roe or muntjac. they will improve you as a stalker as they are a totally different beast to the fallow you are going to shoot.

atb steve