zeroing my .243

Hello all, not sure if this is the correct place to put this? but anyway, i'm desperatly seeking somewhere to zero my .243 as the owner of the land i have been using for years says that the locals are complaining about the noise. The real reason is that one of the locals wants to walk he's dog in the wood and is using the noise as an excuse.
I'm looking for somewhere safe and away from people being able to moan. All i'm after is a place that i can go during the stalking season to make sure my rifle is always accurate. Willing to pay a small fee and or provide pest control, be it pigeon, rabbit, crows or any other pest.
I live near Croydon in Surrey but willing to travel, fully insured by BASC and BDS, qualified DSC 1 and currently doing level 2.
Anyone that could help, even with a possible lead to somewhere would be greatfully appreciated, many thanks for reading.

Hello all, not sure if this is the correct place to put this? but anyway, i'm desperatly seeking somewhere to zero my .243 as the owner of the land i have been using for years says that the locals are complaining about the noise. The real reason is that one of the locals wants to walk he's dog in the wood and is using the noise as an excuse.
I'm looking for somewhere safe and away from people being able to moan. All i'm after is a place that i can go during the stalking season to make sure my rifle is always accurate. Willing to pay a small fee and or provide pest control, be it pigeon, rabbit, crows or any other pest.
I live near Croydon in Surrey but willing to travel, fully insured by BASC and BDS, qualified DSC 1 and currently doing level 2.
Anyone that could help, even with a possible lead to somewhere would be greatfully appreciated, many thanks for reading.

Chavs?
could be busier than you think!:D

have you tried knocking on a few farmer's doors?

I have tried everything, doors, leaflets, speaking to other shooters, i did locate a 200 acre field but the farmer wanted £400 just to carry out zeroing, i asked him if that included use of the club bar and resturant and he asked if i was taking the P***, i replied that is was not me that's taking it. The pain is that the land we lease for our phesant shoot is where i normally zero my rifle, it is leased as 90 acres of shooting woodland but the land owner has said that anymore complaints other than the eight pheseant days a year he will lease the land to the locals for dog walking. As of the end of this season he can have it back as i've had enough of the petty aguments. It's a great shame as we have been there for many years, but it's a new owner that purchased the land for the wood and is not interested in earning extra leasing to us for a phesant shoot, the problem is that it says on the lease 8-10 days per year, so we don't have a leg to stand on. I go on many stalking days and just need somewhere to make sure everything is okay before having a deer in my scope.

Pierred, thats a very kind offer and very much appreciated, but it's a little too far just to zero a rifle, thanks anyway.:thumb:

have you tryed any local rifle ranges.You would have all the time to get some practice and to develop a home load for your rifle.

I have a home load that i have used for years and works very well with my rifle. The local ranges (rifle clubs) say you have to attend on a regular basis and you can only shoot on certain days, you also have to have a shooting jacket and sling. I went once to see what it was all about and most were okay but i'm use to turning up setting myself up and getting on with it, under thier safety rules your only allowed on there for so many rounds and they don't like home loads, they also couldn't understand how i had no restrictions on my ticket. (not my cup oe tea)

contact the BDS.
may be a dead end but they run enough DSC1 courses and tend to have range tests all over the place. might be able to tag along (as a registered DSC2 student!)

What's wrong with Bisley?

If your a BASC memeber, you can arrange a target at 100 or 200 yards through them.

You'll have to do the certification test.. but that's nothing more than 5 mins ensuring you don't point the rifle above the horizon!

See - Target Rifle and Stalking

Edit..

Seems like according to the rules you could go along with someone else, who has already done the competence test?

All users of NSC ranges (other than those engaged in single shot .22” rimfire shooting in
practices governed by the rules of the NSRA) must be in possession of a current Certificate
of Safety and Competence, or be a novice being coached or certified on a one-to-one basis
by the holder of such a certificate. Such a certificate is only valid if it bears the signature of
the individual’s Club Chairman or the Secretary General of the NRA. The certificate must be
valid for all the firearms for which the user intends to fire on Bisley ranges. The certificate
must be produced to the Range Office staff when signing-in as an individual shooter. RCOs
must certify (see regulation 5) that all members of their group will comply with the above.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone that has commented.
I have thankfully zeroed my rifle before i go and shoot the real thing, very happy with the result, all rounds in the bull from a bipod at 100 yds and all rounds in a one inch group from sticks at 100 yds.:D

Sounds like your sorted for now but rally you need to find a decent shooting club.. The is one that shoots every week on a .22R/F 25m range and does monthly shoots on Ministry or Bisley ranges.. it's called:-

Surrey Borders Rifle and Pistol Club.

I was a member for quite few years and several members do stalk and in fact that's where I met Bruce Potts a he was a member of long standing.. if has still is I do not know as I left about 9 years ago now. Sure I could find a committe member phone number if you wanted it.

How bigs your garden? 25m is enough to check zero if you are not confident that your rifle will come out of the cabinet still on. My neighbours love me!!!!

I have a home load that i have used for years and works very well with my rifle. The local ranges (rifle clubs) say you have to attend on a regular basis and you can only shoot on certain days, you also have to have a shooting jacket and sling. I went once to see what it was all about and most were okay but i'm use to turning up setting myself up and getting on with it, under thier safety rules your only allowed on there for so many rounds and they don't like home loads, they also couldn't understand how i had no restrictions on my ticket. (not my cup oe tea)
Contact The British Sporting Rifle Club. They have a range at Bisley dedicated to the use of sporting rifles, modern and historic.

Back