Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which rifle 30-06 or .308

which rifle 30-06 or .308

hi needing some advice, i am looking to get some thing a bit bigger in the gun cuboard.
    i am looking for something for sika and reds also possible wildboar, also might be going plainsgame at some point in the near future.
    now what are the pros and cons of said weapons.
    i am looking to get said weapon in either sauer or styer or blaser.
    any help will be helpfull also what is the ideal round for each .
    thanks adrian

Adrian,

Are you looking at these two calibres only or at anything that will do well on sika, reds, boar and plains game? The reason I ask is that I wanted a rifle for similar purposes and was recommended (and ended up buying) something different to those two. I appreciate you may want to narrow it down to two as there is a risk you'll end up with a huge number of suggestions.

Cheers,

Bob

open to other options! just renewing my fac and have some variations to go on to it, so always open seeing what other people think.
    cheers

308 is considered in some areas of Africa as being too "small" for plains game and 30-06 is just acceptable. I wouldn't suggest you use either on a buffalo though.
    Both are fine rounds which will "do" everything in Europe when used with the right bullet.
    Also 30-06 throws heavy bullets better than 308, so I say 30-06 with Africa in mind. Without Africa in the frame a 308 will cost less in ammunition.

Ian

If your thinking 30 cal. Why not go for .300 Win Mag. Will do all you want and more. Legal in France unlike the other two you mentioned. I have a .308 and .300 Win Mag but will add the .30 06 soon!
    Last edited by Conor1; 01-08-2011 at 20:06.

Quote Originally Posted by ajfab View Post
    hi needing some advice, i am looking to get some thing a bit bigger in the gun cuboard.
    i am looking for something for sika and reds also possible wildboar, also might be going plainsgame at some point in the near future.
    now what are the pros and cons of said weapons.
    i am looking to get said weapon in either sauer or styer or blaser.
    any help will be helpfull also what is the ideal round for each .
    thanks adrian
    Look at your requirements above . if you look at the case sizes IE .308 case is a .243 case necked down, a .30 06 case is a necked down .270 .25 06 .it is really down to yourself .for the UK deer species .308 is plenty of gun if for plains game I'd forward on to a .300 win mag or bigger which brings you into 2 weapons .

Adrian,

I was recommended 7mm Rem Mag as an ideal hill / plains rifle that will take boar effectively also. It is flat shooting and capable of delivering a relatively heavy bullet at quite long range. It was designed for this type of shooting and is, apparently, one of the most popular calibres in the US. Most of the major bullet manufacturers make quite a wide range of 7mm bullets.

The downsides, as far as I can tell so far, is that recoil is inevitably more noticeable than smaller deer calibres. However, I am a relative latecomer to rifle shooting (started in late 30's) and I don't like recoil. Its fine with either a mod, muzzle break or in a heavy rifle. Rifles in 7mm RM are relatively rare in the UK (when compared with .308 or 30 - 06). I had to wait for four months for mine to arrive from Finland. This didn't bother me, but may be of concern to you. Similarly, ammunition is not as easily available everywhere as the two you were looking at initially.

If you don't mind the possibility of a wait and load your own ammunition 7mm RM is well worth a look.

Cheers,

Bob

ajfab,
    Just get the 30-06, I have shot a Sako 75 in 30-06 for the past 7 years and it is excellent.

Dalkur

30/06 every single time. It is the universal calibre.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

You mentioned Steyr, Iīm very happy with my SSG69 in the original 308. It suits me in the hills. Big plus for me is that I can practice at 0,17 GBP a round (Itīs chambered for the NATO 308),training being to me the most important aspect of hunting, much more important than rifle/caliber/scope etc. If you donīt mind the weight, try it out. On the African plains, I have used 6,5X55, 308, 3006 all fine all the way through Black wildebeest. Bigger than that, I chose the .375H&H. But this is just me, canīt tell you what to get, shooting is always personal. Try out as many as possible, before you make up your mind and start spending money.
    Starkad