Thread: Ruger hawkeye stainless .243

Ruger hawkeye stainless .243

Hi lads,

im going to look at one of these tommorow and im wondering have any of ye here shot this rifle before? is it accurate and reliable? il be mounting a zeiss conquest 3-9x50 on it, any help much appreciated, cheers

I have one, a 243, exactly the same model just a few months old.

Lovely shape and balance, nice to hold, weatherproof, seems to like a hotter load in a lighter bullet. I like the floorplate arrangement, and the loading via the breech. I'm not too keen on magazines that stick out.

Hit's what I shoot at. Very hard wearing and weather proof, you dont need to worry about scratching it. I find it holds its zero well when hot, even though it's non floated.

The 3 position safety is great - you can load/unload it when set to safe, and I love the fact you can actually see the safety catch physically blocking the bolt/firing pin.

Price wise - I paid about 560 screw cut and proofed new I think?

Make sure it has the two scope rings that come with it - they should be different height front and back. My supplier took them (for whatever reason) out of the box and then sent the wrong ones.

I've yet to seriously test it's capability and longer ranges, but at 100yds so far I can't fault it.

S.

Cheers snowstorm i think its the one for me im looking for something exactly as you described, strong and durable, weatherproof is a must for me aswell, thanks again mate.

Action is a based on the 98 Mauser, I have used the MK1 and MK2 Ruger M77 but not the Hawkeye, I liked the MK1 with it's shotgun safety.

A reliable working rifle.

Best rgds

Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_in_ireland
    Cheers snowstorm i think its the one for me im looking for something exactly as you described, strong and durable, weatherproof is a must for me aswell, thanks again mate.
    I have a big scope on mine and with the standard mounts it's a close fit. You might want to take your scope and check it clears the barrel ok, otherwise you neeed to swap the smallest scope ring for the largest then switch front to back. You'll see what I mean when you see it, the rifle has custom mounts that come with it.

I have a big scope on mine and with the standard mounts it's a close fit. You might want to take your scope and check it clears the barrel ok, otherwise you neeed to swap the smallest scope ring for the largest then switch front to back. You'll see what I mean when you see it, the rifle has custom mounts that come with it.
    Thats great man cheers, il let you know when im home tommorow evening, im getting it in exchange for my sabatti 6.5x55.

I have a Ruger MKII model 77 in 25.06 stainless and plastic. Love it to death, one of the best working rifles I have ever owned and its a great round to shoot.

Mine is topped with the New Leoupold VXL scope, its a lethal combination and with a mod on it, it is like shooting an air rifle.

Tiny, how did you get on?

Did the Hawkeye do it for you?

S.

Im just home with it now, i decided she was the one for me,its so light compared to my old one,perfect! well its p****n rain out now for a day or two so i cant even try zero it, thanks for all the tips lads il let ye know how she shoots!

Im very impressed with this rifle, thanks for the advice fella's!