Thread: Fall/winter?

Question Fall/winter?

When does the first frost usually accur in Southern England? Basicly, what I'm asking, when do the trees loose their leaves and the underbrush die off and the deer become easier to see? capt david

It can be as late as the end of November before the chill does it job in southern England.
    I've shot partridge in October in a short sleeved shirt but then I am a hardy northerner
    Some parts of southern England seldom see a hard frost (sw for instance) due to sticking out into the gulf stream but they still have autumn/winter from oct/nov -feb/march unlike Scotland where summer is generally the 20th of July between 2 and 5pm (they know its summer in Scotland because the rain in warmer)

Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Don,t worry about the leaves a lot of the undercover is rodedendrom so is evergreen.

In southern England they hardly know what frost is that is why we up here are said to come from the frozen north
    Even last winter many oak trees held onto leaves altough dead into january wind or lack of it is a big factor in december
    If you are asking when are deer easiest to see I have always found Febuary to the end of April to cover that of course that is when many of us do not like shooting females and most of the bucks are still in velvet.(sods Law)

Best months for seeing deer are in my opinion dec to may and i am off down to england shire jan - feb for a Fallow a Muntjac a chineese and a Boar all in two outtings

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Best months for seeing deer are in my opinion dec to may and i am off down to england shire jan - feb for a Fallow a Muntjac a chineese and a Boar all in two outtings
    So, it will be something like 'Challenge Anneka' then...