Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: first sika

  1. #1

    first sika

    tried to post this earlier but computer was playing up i went up to stalk in sutherland on jayb land ,drove up on thursday after work arrived at b n b after 6 met john who then drove me up to his area and showed me around the boundries etc back at the b n bi got ready and set of for a stalk about 7 30 i stalked for 2 hours seeing 3 sika hinds then made my way to the highseat i waited till after 10 but saw no more deer ,up a 5 am the next morning i set off again istalked till 7 30 then went to the highseat its set up at the junction of a x ride as i was climbing up i had just sat down when i looked out in front not 90 yards away an 8 point sika stag was standing looking at me as i slowly reached for my rifle he walked into the forest after i stopped shaking and calmed down 1 hour later he appeared 150 yards up the ride i got the crosshairs onto him but he just wouldnt settle to give me a shot, i waited a bit longer seeing 4 hinds but no more stags ,later that night after only 1 hour 30 min i had to call it quits due to the dreaded midgies,next morning back at the seat at 6 am i waited ,at 07 10 a nice 6 pointer crossed the ride to my right when he stopped i took the shot ,he ran into the forest i waited 10 min then went to look for him ,after 1 hour searching i found him a lovely beast ,after the gralloch and dragging him 400 yards to the nearest track i was totally nackerd but very happy ,meeting john at the gamedealers it weighed in at 39 kilos ,now john is a very nice and helpfull guy who helps SD members out with stalking so if you fancy a shot give him a shout ,i had never seen a sika in the wild so to get one on my first outing was very special so id like to thank john for giving me the oppertuneity ,i took some photos but havnt masterd posting them

    cheers tam

  2. #2
    Nice write up and well done, aren't they an amazing animal.
    Tony
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

  3. #3
    Well done Tam and the high seat or the still stalk can be the way to nail them sika. Would you go back as i know its a long way.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Well done Tam and the high seat or the still stalk can be the way to nail them sika. Would you go back as i know its a long way.
    Its even further for me when I visit in October!!

    12 hours from door to door!!!

    Well done with the first stag boom boom, I hope I get as lucky as you!!

    To add a photo click on the little icon above where you type your message, the icon looks like a tree with black lines around it. When you click on that it will ask you to select the location from your computer. Hope that helps



    Cheers

    Ross
    Last edited by 270Buck; 02-08-2011 at 08:33.

  5. #5
    Glad you enjoyed Tam, your first Sika as well, summer spotted coat pretty looking beast completely different to the rut when they have been wallowing. If everyone was like you it would make life easier. See you soon,

    John

    PS got your sticks and they are waiting for Davie to collect them.
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by r.atkinson View Post
    Its even further for me when I visit in October!!

    12 hours from door to door!!!

    Well done with the first stag boom boom, I hope I get as lucky as you!!

    To add a photo click on the little icon above where you type your message, the icon looks like a tree with black lines around it. When you click on that it will ask you to select the location from your computer. Hope that helps



    Cheers

    Ross
    Look on the bright side Ross, the midges will be away by then

    John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by boom boom View Post
    as i was climbing up i had just sat down when i looked out in front not 90 yards away an 8 point sika stag was standing looking at me as i slowly reached for my rifle he walked into the forest after i stopped shaking and calmed down 1 hour later he appeared 150 yards up the ride i got the crosshairs onto him but he just wouldnt settle to give me a shot,
    Tam

    Glad to see the sika up north are behaving normally then...

    Bit different to stalking roe aren't they?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Look on the bright side Ross, the midges will be away by then

    John
    Lets hope they are!!! I will be fully stocked up with my repellants, head nets etc etc. I am sure the buggers will still get me!!

    I am looking forward to it very much John.

    Cheers

    Ross

  9. #9
    Me and Tartan Jock where up there (on Johns other ground) at the week-end, got eaten alive. I have 43 bites on one knee, dern't look at the other knee, little buggers crawled right up past me very long socks and had a feast....
    Cracking bit of ground.
    The highlight, apart from Sheila's scones and tea was TJ filming 3 pinemartins playing in front of him, he's supposed to be putting the film on here when he gets around to it.
    Cracking good place even with the midgies. Ta John

  10. #10
    Alan,

    glad you enjoyed it mate, maybe try later when the midges are gone, there will be no need for you to give them all blood poisoning

    John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Similar Threads

  1. sika
    By MARTYB in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 30-10-2010, 17:53
  2. Sika Help Please
    By chickenman in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-10-2010, 08:58
  3. sika him here sika him there
    By centralbeltstalker in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-10-2010, 21:31
  4. sika
    By tom in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-06-2010, 08:48
  5. sika
    By lee-stroud in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-10-2009, 22:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •