Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Follow up to 243 with named mentor 26/6

SD Regular

Follow up to 243 with named mentor 26/6

Right guys here goes , the named mentor placed on my ticket by lancashire has now been removed and now reads whilst under the supervision of an experienced stalker .

To reach this stage George Wallace of the NGO has written on my behalf 3 letters to them

I now have more freedom to get out and gain the experience that they require to lift this restriction and look to my level 2

It just goes to show if you stand up to them and fight for what you belive to be your rites then they will act .
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

I'm sorry to break it to you bud,but it seems to me that there is hardly any difference,you still have to be a supervisor,did you realise that from the off you could of named as many mentors as you wanted to.Meaning straight away you would of been in the same boat as you are now,still,it sounds like you are happy enough so well done to you.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    Right guys here goes , the named mentor placed on my ticket by lancashire has now been removed and now reads whilst under the supervision of an experienced stalker .
    A experienced stalker mmmm.
    To reach this stage George Wallace of the NGO has written on my behalf 3 letters to them

I now have more freedom to get out and gain the experience that they require to lift this restriction and look to my level 2
    So what ground and rites have you gained nothing .
    It just goes to show if you stand up to them and fight for what you belive to be your rites then they will act .
    To have gained the rites you talk about above they would have removed any, if not all conditions on your certificate if your wording is correct they have put down experienced stalker instead of a named person ,it is still a joke .

Now if i or someone else was to give you a days stalking for you to gain the so valuable experience they wish you to have, can you legally transport a weapon and ammunition around the UK without committing a offence doesn't look like it ! Seems to me the system still has you by the balls .

SD Regular
    From the very outset , lancashire refused to lift the mentor situation , they said that going from rim to centre was a big jump and i have to prove that i am competent with it ,and in there words shot deer . I feel that doing it this way allows me more freedom and also gain the experience that i feel i need to progress to my l2 .

As for the carrying of a rifle up and down the country , if its on my ticket then surely i am legal ?

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    From the very outset , lancashire refused to lift the mentor situation , they said that going from rim to centre was a big jump and i have to prove that i am competent with it ,and in there words shot deer . I feel that doing it this way allows me more freedom and also gain the experience that i feel i need to progress to my l2 .

As for the carrying of a rifle up and down the country , if its on my ticket then surely i am legal ?
    this has been a question i have ask others over a number of years "IF"your not allowed to use the weapon yourself how can you have it in your possession along with ammunition to travel to a destination legally without having with you a experienced supervisor with you .

the mentor rules are flawed in many ways, if you have to be supervised you should not be able to hold a weapon or ammunition in your property, where you have no supervision.
    The police are contravening there own conditions .So if you do not have the said experience to use it unsupervised how does the law allow you to keep in in your property without the experience they require .

The whole system requires a revamp I wonder what our agencies such as BASC, SACS, NGO, etc are getting payed for what if they will not challenge, the issues above , which on this site alone raise there head, daily, weeklyand monthly all on the above subject.

It is about time the English stalkers stood up and be counted it seems to be the only place in the UK, that is being hammered over the mentor bilige ,and your all going with the flow ,it has now gained momentum, time the police forces started to work to the guidelines layed down, for them by the homeoffice and not what they make up .

The ball is at your foot .

Got to agree with Widows son here while i do not like taking things to task or going to court this needs sorting as there is no defintion for a novice to follow.
    How do they the police decide who is expearienced and who is not. Some one with lev two might have shot less deer than you so that cant be it.Some one might hold a Firearm Certificate for 5 years and only shoot 1 deer. I think i would be wanting to know what my Target was and why i had to follow such a rule. Even the police need stricked guide lines to work to and clear objectives .There is no reason why they cannot write them down for you.

Are you allowed to zero without your mentor present?... I don't think he'd be too chuffed if you turned up on a stalk with an un-zero'd rifle and without any practice.

Ask your FEO that one
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Not quite sure if I can see how someone with the dreaded 'mentor' condition wouldn't be able to lawfully transport his firearms and ammunition to and from stalking locations. The condition regulates the actual shooting of the firearm.

Doesn't the possession of the FAC itself provide the authority to possess no matter where you are? The condition relates to 'use' not possession. Otherwise we might all be in breach of conditions such as territorial ones containing named land or 'land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of police' - would we be in breach if we were transporting firearms outside of that land? Ditto for certificates conditioned for use on approved ranges, would the holder be liable to prosecution for transporting outside of those ranges?

Back to the 'mentoring' fiasco. I totally agree that one of the organisations should back the membership up and force the issue. All it would take is an otherwise experienced centrefire user who gets saddled with the mentoring crap for a deer legal calibre to take it up.

SD Regular
    This is by no means dead in the water ,
    After having a long telephone conversation today with Widows Son i am taking his offer of help and advice and hope to have this condition removed asap .

I cant thank Bob enough , i was close to giving the whole stalking thing up and going back bunnie bashing .

Thanks again bob and i will take you up on your offer.

Been reading this with interest, I have the same issue with Thames Valley, they have imposed the mentoring condition on me due to "lack of expewrience with the specific calibre". They resquested the mentors have an open ticket with that specific calibre, luckily I have two guys on the land I shoot who offered to be mentors. After speaking to the BASC it was pointed out that if I wanted to buy a days staliking somewhere, legally I could only use "MY" rifle if one of the named mentors was with me.....nuts I know. I have not bothered to get it changed yet but might do so out of principle now I have read this thread.

The other thing I wanted to ask was this "what is deemed a REASONABLE length of time to be mentored before the condition is removed"? by definition "reasonable" in one persons eyes might be unreasonable in anothers. I am thinking 6 months with a stalking record and letters from both mentors, does this seem "reasonable"?

The joke of all this is that I am allowed to go and zero my rifle on the land un supervised (BASC had copy of FAC and confirmed it), so I am deemed safe enough to discharge a rifle unsupervised at a bit of paper but not at a deer or charlie? despite holding a FAC for 3 years with rimfire's on it. This is where the law is becoming crazy, either they state that you must have minimum of DSC 1 and/or X amount of supervised stalks or not. My FEO suggested that until there is a formal process it is all open to interpretation and basically they can impose any condition deemed "reasonable".

Any suggestions or advice greatly received.