Thread: Rough Shooting.

Question Rough Shooting.

My friend and I have booked five days of rough shooting near the city of Bath. Is the area ideal for rough shooting? Is it a good place for woodcock shooting? Does someone know about other estates in the surrounding area?

Whilst hoping that you can help me I thank you in advance.

Tourist, the landscape around Bath varies greatly; with wooded valleys, undulating pasture land and large flat arable fields. There should be some good rough shooting with the right terrain. I am involved in a woodland shoot just outside Chippenham, approx 15 miles away, and we often see quite a few woodcock. A lot depends upon the weather conditions; cold weather pushes them in from the north and the east.
    It would be worth having a look at the gunsonpegs website, as that will give you an idea as to what else is on offer in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
    My friend and I have booked five days of rough shooting near the city of Bath. Is the area ideal for rough shooting? Is it a good place for woodcock shooting? Does someone know about other estates in the surrounding area?

Whilst hoping that you can help me I thank you in advance.
    As moonraker says the area has the potential for nice rough shooting but it really depends on the actual ground, it's a bit like saying that Scotland has the potential for red deer stalking but you be hard put to find many in Fife. As far as woodcock go to stand a good chance you need to be going in November or later, and if the moon and weather is right there can be woodcock in good numbers anywhere in the south west of England.