Management Hunt in the North Karoo July 2011

DavieH

Hi Guy's
Just back from South Africa doing a Management Hunt for 25 animals.
After having hassle with both BMI at Heathrow and Group 4 guys in Johannesberg looking for a backhander I flew on to Bloemfontien to be picked up by the P.H. Kobus DeVilliers of Jakkalskuil Safaris and a 3 hour drive to his farm.
After zeroing both my Blaser .243 for Sprinbok and my .300 Win Mag for all of the big stuff, we went out after Black Wildebeest for which I had 5 on my list.
I kept a diary of time, animal,shots and yardage.
On day one I shot 3 Springbok and 5 Black Wildebeest, with the nearest shot at 120 yards and the furthers at 350 yards.
On day 2 between 9.35 am and 16.59 I took 5 Common Blesbok and 2 Gemsbok, all one shot kills at ranges between 230 Yards out to 350 yards.
Day 3 was very hard work after 2 Blue Wilderbeest, again one shot kills and 227 and 310 yards respectfully.
On Day 4,even although it is South Africa's winter after 3 hours and only getting 1one Springbok, we had to stop hunting as it was both bitterly cold and gale fore winds.
Day 5 was exactly the same as day 4 with the addition of snow,light but still snow.
Roads between Johanesberg and Port Elizabeth were blocked with constant falling snow.
Day 6 was to start very slow but by 4.30 pm I had shot another 4 Springbok before the weather turned again.
From my original quota of 25 animal I took 23, but was very happy with my whole trip.
I have hunted with Kobus for 6 years and realy would be hard pushed to go elsewhere, the terain is flat so long shots are required all the time and this adds to the excitement.
I have posted 2 photos of the hunt, hope you enjoy.

Regards

DavieH

thats alot of shooting sounds great ! was it expensive ,think i might need some practice before shooting at that yardage though my max being 200ish

thats alot of shooting sounds great ! was it expensive ,think i might need some practice before shooting at that yardage though my max being 200ish

Norma, You'd be surprised how quickly you dial in once you know the gun is zero'd right. Windage is always the main issue but with a decent magnification scope you can be confident of hitting the mark from a decent rest.

K

Back