Muntjac Shot in N Ireland

Claret_Dabbler

We have the first confirmed case of a Munty being shot in N Ireland. There is an article in this weeks Shooting Times by Prof Jamie Dick who did the deed in Co Down on the 11th of June past.

I had heard rumours, but this confirms it.

I think it would have been beter if it had been roe but a small deer for the Irish lads to stalk should make a pleasnt change. Whats your opinion on it CD

6p, I have not really formed an opinion on the subject yet.

On one level I would certainly love to see extra species, particularly small deer here in huntable numbers, as long as they do not cause damage to the exisiting wildlife.

Prof Dick mentioned above is an academic in QUB with an interest in alien species, he seems to think large number of Munties would do untold damage to the ecosystem. I am not entiely sure about that. Truth be told, large amounts of NI is an intensively grazed wildlife desert, and there is nothing there other than rye grass and thorn hedges.

Rural NI is also somewhat different to southern England, we do not have extensive broadleaf woodland, and only a relatively small precentage of farmland is arable. Most of NI is small fields bounded by thick hedges, average field size is well under 10 acres. I think Muntjac could live relatively well in this terrain. The down side is that rural NI is densely populated and there a lot of guys out lamping with 22 CF's. The Muntjac will be hard pressed to expand their numbers and range significantly if the lamp teams decide to hit them hard.

Last edited:
would be a good thing if the lamping teams did hit them hard. The last thing Ireland needs is another feral deer species. While a lot of the areas are grazed with thorn hedges these are not the places that Muntjac will build up to highest densities. Rather, it will be the remnants of other habitats that are diverse and offer varied browse and cover. Essentially theres more reason to remove them rather than less. I suspect it would be fairly pointless trying to remove them though as another group will doubtless grow some 'Ifor Williams Water Wings'.

Back