Thread: #s of deer killed and stalkers?

#s of deer killed and stalkers?

I have read a 2yr old report that there around 1.5 million deer in the UK. There about 800k roe, 350k reds and another 350k fallow, muntjack and CW combined. I assume this is about correct? Does anyone know how many are killed each year? Also, does anyone know how many stalkers there are? thanks, capt david

I have no up to date data on deer numbers, my guess is that Muntjac are under counted.

Official sats suggest that around 300,000 deer are culled annually in the UK. Again, my inclination is that it is rather more than that.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

i have no idea of deer numbers in britain but i dont think they could have an accurate number for of them. because for every deer you see there has to be at least another few that you dont.

You will never know as there is no lawful requirement for anyone to submit figures. I have kept figures for the past ten years but unless we all do it any count would be pointless, also I am not sure everyone will be entirely truthful.
    Last edited by Munty1; 04-08-2011 at 15:27.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Quote Originally Posted by Munty1 View Post
    You will never know as there is no lawful requirement for anyone to submit figures. I have kept figures for the past ten years but unless we all do it any count would be pointless, also I am not sure everyone will be entirely truthful.

In Scotland Red deer were counted by DSC now SNH on a maximum of every five years, hot spots were counted more often
    Counting is quite effective but can really only be done on the open hill, Deer in forestry can't be physically counted so one needs to rely on dung counts or some other method.

As to a UK figure covering all species, someone will have figures but how accurate they are I am not sure

It used to be case that the Deer Commission in Scotland published figures of culls but this no longer appears to be the case:-

http://www.snh.gov.uk/protecting-sco...utory-returns/

In any event as the folks above have said the reported numbers are generally held to be very low - for both population totals and culls. The last published figures I can (imperfectly) recall is about 170,000 for all species for Scotland only.

Last best guesstimate in 2007 was about 650000 including car collisoins/poaching/culls per year. BDS has just started a new survey on distribution.