Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gwent Firearms Licensing

Gwent Firearms Licensing

I'm totally f##ked off with Gwent Firearms Licensing, Had a letter of them today saying that one of my referee's was unsuitable as he was family and that it state's this on the form. I need to get a new referee plus send it back to them within 7 days of the date on the letter which was date'd 15 day's ago so that thay can do it asap. This would be ok but my referee was my cousin and not immediate family plus this as been in over four month's and i've had my home visit about a month ago. I rang them and that was a total waste of time

SD Regular
    That makes Lancs saints then
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

this is hapening a lot with gwent my frend is going through the same thing

Amazed how things have changed since I lived up there. But then again you shouldn't have given them the opportunity to bugger about like this, they will always nit pick over anything. He could be your auntys sisters brothers pet parrots brother in law, but it doesn't matter to them he is still family in there eyes and could be seen as a conflict of interest I guess.
    (no offence intended)

I checked this first before i sent it in, This is what it state's in Firearms Law Guidance To Police (2002)

10.8 Members of the applicant’s family may
    not act as referees. In the absence of a
    Court ruling, family is taken to mean the
    following: mother; father; son; daughter;
    sister; brother; aunt; uncle; grand parent and
    mother/father/sister/brother in law. Cousins
    are not regarded as immediate family but cohabiting
    partners should be considered as
    “family” for these purposes and not be
    accepted. Serving police officers, police
    civilian employees and registered firearms
    dealers (but see paragraph 10.9) may not
    act as referees.

All this after the FEO came to the house and if there was anything wrong he would have said as he's a right job's worth.
    Last edited by Teckel; 05-08-2011 at 13:12.

Just found out why the letter took 15 days to get to me, Thay sent it to the wrong person the first time .

Quote Originally Posted by Teckel View Post
    I checked this first before i sent it in, This is what it state's in Firearms Law Guidance To Police (2002)

10.8 Members of the applicant’s family may not act as referees. In the absence of a
    Court ruling, family is taken to mean the following: mother; father; son; daughter;
    sister; brother; aunt; uncle; grand parent and mother/father/sister/brother in law. Cousins
    are not regarded as immediate family but cohabiting partners should be considered as
    “family” for these purposes and not be accepted.

All this after the FEO came to the house and if there was anything wrong he would have said as he's a right job's worth.
    So are you saying that you have it in writing from them that contrary to the Home Office issued guidance that they do not believe that a cousin is an allowed referee!

I would refer them back to the relevant section of the HO guidance and then get BASC or similar involved if necessary.

Move to Bridgend, South Wales Constabulary are far better to deal with Have you used your cousin as ref before? If you have you'll have better grounds for a complaint.

Ade

At one time people living in Monmouth moved to Herefordshire to get away from Gwent Police, they then came back into Gwent to use rifles refused by Gwent but granted by West Mercia.

Well at last got some sense out off them. I rang firearms last thursday and was told point blank that my cousin was immediate family, Not happy with this and after finding it in Firearms Law Guidance To Police (2002) i rang my FEO who said he would look into it and get back to me. Guess what he did'nt get back to me or look into it. So i rang them again to day and after telling them where to look for it, they found it and i'm right. So with a bit of luck i might get it back before xmas