Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminoligy?

Terminology?

Two great nations seperated by the same language! Someone corrected me by saying, basically, that deer were 'stalked,' and 'hunting' was done on horses. Ok, that I see, but what do you when after rabbits, pheasants &etc? thanks, capt david
    Last edited by captdavid; 05-08-2011 at 12:40.

Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    ...you when after rabbits, pheasants &etc? thanks, capt david
    That would generally be "shooting".
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    Or rough shooting.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Or missing . Oh that could just be me!!
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Hunting is a generic term that covers the various disciplines such as shooting, stalking, lamping, coursing, falconry etc. Lots of people I know that don't shoot ask if I'm going hunting whether it's wildfowling, pigeon shooting, stalking or whatever. Most most that do these activities would think of hunting as doing so with hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    Hello mate, I'm not alone.

If you're going to come on here and ask questions about English you might spell terminology correctly

Having worked with Americans I find the puzzled look when we start talking bo77ocks and f4nnys quite amusing.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post

The holy trinity

Huntin' ... Shootin' ... and ... Fishin'

The only true "sports" ... The rest are all just games.

Quote Originally Posted by The Singing Stalker View Post
    A few years ago I met a bloke who was at least 65yrs, he told me he had been stalking all his life and that he had never missed a deer. I ask him what he was taking for his senile dementia. Anyone brave enough to start up a honest miss/loss thread?
    Last edited by Munty1; 05-08-2011 at 06:57.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Hunting for me is in the pursuit of game. Stalking is a more specific hunting of deer or other ground game by stealth and concealment.
    I would 'hunt' for a walked up pheasant,snipe etc but would 'shoot' driven game.
    Then of course there is 'Haunting' done by chaps and their fillies on horseback, 'unting done by thin guys in big boots on the fells and decoying done by blokes who like mud.