Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "The .17HMR is a piece of crap." Discuss.

"The .17HMR is a piece of crap." Discuss.

OK, so here are my thoughts on this subject. I bought a brand new 17HMR a few months ago after years of resisting this calibre. All my buddies think it is a "must have".

I think it is a useless piece of junk.

My case:

1. It is completely under powered for shooting foxes and should never be used for such large game. I have made good chest hits on cubs recently only to have them run on requiring several more shots. I will never use it on foxes again.

2. It is completely over powered for rabbits, blows them into crap and renders them inedible. This may not be an issue if you shoot rabbits and throw them in the ditch, but I really like eating rabbit.

3. It is relatively noisy, even with a mod there is a significant crack. A 22LR can be completed silenced and is a much better rabbit tool.

4. It is expensive to feed, nearly 18 per 50. Choice of ammo is poor. If your gun won't shoot 17gr BT types or 20gr HP, you are stuffed. I am assured that the various 17gr BT's are all made in the same factory and are identical other than the colour of the tip.

I could go on, but you get the drift. I have a 22 wmr also, a much better fox round under limited circumstances, but still expensive, and ultimately, it is not up to the job much beyond 100m.

I reckon I could reload a Hornet or a 20 Tac for very little more than the cost of factory HMR ammo.

I think this junk will go up the road and be replaced before I am much older.... There is an Anshutz Hornet in the classifieds that I really, really want.

What say ye lads???
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 05-08-2011 at 10:57.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    OK, so here are my thoughts on this subject. I bought a brand new 17HMR a few months ago after years of resisting this calibre. All my buddies think it is a "must have".

I think it is a useless piece of junk.

My case:

1. It is completely under powered for shooting foxes and should never be used for such large game. I have made good chest hits on cubs recently only to have them run on requiring several more shots. I will never use it on foxes again.

2. It is completely over powered for rabbits, blows them into crap and renders them inedible. This may not be an issue if you shoot rabbits and throw them in the ditch, but I really like eating rabbit.

3. It is relatively noisy, even with a mod there is a significant crack. A 22LR can be completed silenced and is a much better rabbit tool.

4. It is expensive to feed, nearly 18 per 50. Choice of ammo is poor. If your gun won't shoot 17gr BT types or 20gr HP, you are stuffed. I am assured that the various 17gr BT's are all made in the same factory and are identical other than the colour of the tip.

I could go on, but you get the drift. I have a 22 wmr also, a much better fox round under limited circumstances, but still expensive, and ultimately, it is not up to the job much beyond 100m.

I reckon I could reload a Hornet or a 20 Tac for very little more than the cost of factory HMR ammo.

I think this junk will go up the road and be replaced before I am much older.... There is an Anshutz Hornet in the classifieds that I really, really want.

What say ye lads???
    +1 on all the above

PLUS

Wind drift is HORRENDOUS in anything above 5mph (when isn't it?)

It makes crap shooters think they can hit anything out to stupid distances

Bullets disintegrate in rain

Ditched mine long ago
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Must say I contemplated getting one some time back as heard so many rave reviews about them when they first appeared on the scene.

But as I did not see a great deal of difference between a good old .22rim which I had since the dawn of time, although I sold it and bought a .22 Marlin plastic stock one at the CLA about 8 years back, I decided to stick with what I know best.

Still does exactly what it says on the packet with a .22rim so think I will stick with what I have. Have not heard that many bad reports on the 17 but then I do not undertake as much bunny bashing as in the past years and most folk i know have a .22

am a Novice .17HMR user (8months) i use Hornady V-Max and as yet the only problem i have found is the wind. Yes it's noisy but two nights ago with NV fitted to scope saw 4 Rabbits 40yrd to 130yrds 4 shots 4 head shot Rabbits so as yet not had a problem Hare's also ive seen 6-8 again shot them all again head shot Fox's 5 for 5 Head shot max range 70yrds. the only thing i have shot through the body has been Grow, Rook and Magpie. Head shot Rabbit 1+ Hare (when allowed to sell) 3.50+ so i use this to help out buying my .17 ammo 9 for 50 just my findings

To be fair, I will allow two plus points: they are generally very accurate and will allow head shots to around 100m on rabbits if you can shoot; and it is a decent crow rifle to about 130 yards.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

.17 Fantastic piece of kit when used to correct limits. Kills rabbits dead. If you want the meat then head shoot them. They don't tend to get up after being hit.
    Don't know about foxes yet. but my local FEO will not let me use the .223 on fox problem on a small holding local to me but will let me use the 17.
    I would look to have the fox in to about 50/70 yards to ensure enough power to drop it dead. Hopefully. Hurrah for NV.
    But it is not my preferred weapon for foxes. You need to work to the limitations of the rifle but then I do with every rifle i use.
    Berhaps it is a bit jack of all trades. Covers the ground between .22 and .223 but it is not ideal for either. I would prefer to be out with the .17 rabbiting if I had a chance encounter with Mr Fox rather than the .22 as I would then leave Mr Fox alone.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

i my case it was the caliber i started using first. I have been using a 17hmr for a few years and my .22 never leaves the gun cabinet. i shoot rabbits in built up areas, football clubs, golf clubs and i only bring the hmr and my rapid 7 air rifle, if the shot is over 50m i use the hmr . i love eating rabbits as well and we will cook head shot bunnies and anything else is removied for fox bait. i am a big fan of the hmr for safety and accuracy, i have a cz452 and i likes most rounds so i am lucky in that respect, the first hmr i had was a marlin and it was only good for weeding the garden.

during the lambing season i used it around the sheep as i didnt want to use the 223, i totally agree that in my case it is under powered for fox, i have dropped two with it and had about 3 run on with no obvious signs of being hit. personally i wouldnt be without it, when i work at home my office window looks out over a 90m field to a river and in the winter i feed birds at a post 90m down the field, squirrels, magpies and crows regulary visit the post and the hmr is great for taking them out, the smaller birds get feed so it is a win win ( except for the vermin)

A 22 rf with stingers closes the gap.

I owned an HMR some time ago now, I agree ammo is expensive and limited to either the 17g or 20g. I don't think it was ever intended for shooting fox in the first place though, more a small vermin calibre.

What's a stinger?
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .