Thread: Frontline Flea/Tick treatment

Frontline Flea/Tick treatment

For sale 6 pippets of treatment for medium dog 10 to 20 Kg

20.00 posted

Regular Poster
    Hi,
    Please can you tell me - is the Frontline you are offering 'Frontline Combo'?
    If so what is the Expiry date on the end of the packet?

Hi

No, sorry it is not Combo but standard Frontline.

Cheers

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by hogey View Post
    Hi

No, sorry it is not Combo but standard Frontline.

Cheers
    Never mind !
    I use the combo and really want to stick with it esp as we go to Germany where there is TBE

The only advantage of Frontline Combo over Frontline is an extra ingredient that stops fleas developing in your home. The fipronil that kills the fleas and ticks is the same in both products and both would have equal efficacy for ticks. I would use a more effective product if I was after ticks, either a Scalibor collar (best value) or Advantix.

It's still against the law for anyone who's not a registered person, a pharmacist or an SQP to sell Frontline online.

Regular Poster
    Thanks for that Apache – It seems as if I am under a bit of misapprehension. My wife deals with the medication and told me the need for the Combo was because of the ticks. Either way we still need the house control of fleas so from that point of view Combo it is.

The difficulty is the preparation we use MUST contain Permethrin as that is a requirement for the Pets Passport Scheme and last time we returned our spaniel was given Intervet Ex-Spot which we were told by the German vet was particularly effective on ticks. Do you know of others?

Since TBE can be fatal and is far more prevalent in France, Germany and beyond than we ever realised we are particularly concerned. We have of course been vaccinated but realise the vaccination may or may not protect us.

When camping the chance of us catching TBE is inevitably far greater with adog than if we are on our own so it is important that ticks are killed ASAP onthe dog.

In respect of worming, I know we have changed from Drontal to Milbemaxbecause Drontal doesn’t cover Heartworm but perhaps we need to look for something morerelevant to TBE protection for ourselves.
    Last edited by 325wsm; 14-08-2011 at 14:08. Reason: spelling

The Pet Passport Scheme is changing and we will have some very different rules after 1st Jan. Tick treatment is being abolished and tapeworm treatment looks likely to go but is under discussion. As it stands the rules state:

Your pet must be treated against the tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis using a veterinary medicine whose active ingredient is praziquantel.
    The tick treatment must be licensed for use against ticks and have a marketing authorisation in the country of use – Please note some treatments may not be applicable to both cats and dogs (or ferrets) and this should be checked with your vet. A collar impregnated with acaricide is not an acceptable form of treatment against ticks.

My preference is the Scalibor collar as it lasts 6 months, the problem with it (and I suspect the reason it's not OK for the PETS scheme) is that it needs to be on a week to work. No problem with efficacy. There is nothing wrong with the Advantix but it does smell bad! Frontline doesn't contain permethrin.

Regular Poster
    Thanks again for your information Apache - much appreciated.