Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance - Do I need it?

Insurance - Do I need it?

I am organising a stalking trip which will visit an estate with a few different people having individual days on the hill.

The question is do they need 3rd party insurance or is there 'estate coverage' similar to the estate rifle rule for firearms cover?

I have my own BDS cover but then I do a lot so it's worth it.

Any thoughts?

Given the very low annual cost of membership of SACS/BASC/NGO/Countryside Alliance complete with liability insurance, compared to the cost of 1 day's stalking, why not get these people to join?

Most of these people will be new to it, might do it again and i don't want to put them off by adding extra costs, if i can avoid it. As i said I am happy to pay for BDS because i def get my moneys worth but 70 ish for day?..

But if legally required then i suppose needs must

Whether new to the sport or not it's worth joining one off the above as they help protect our country sports. Would you go abroad without insurance even if you were only going once. 70 don,t go far in a law court.
    Changing the subject slightly is anyone on this forum not a member of one of the above.

Insurance is like the A.A. you never know when you might need them!! it is the smart thing to do,insurances are affordable and is best to have cover at all times.

Ok. I agree with everyone saying it's useful however a little more detail:

The exercise is for soldiers of varying ranks and therefore incomes. Some may well make this a hobby, some may never do it again. I think it would be a shame to put them off what is going to be v cheap stalking but for the cost of 50 - 70 for the insurance.

Hence the question of being covered by proxy by the stalker's cover?

Alternatively does anyone know of insurance for a day on the hill i.e. short term that costs 15 ish?

I would have a look into what policies they already have. I some cover sporting activity...

Quote Originally Posted by Jinga View Post
    The exercise is for soldiers of varying ranks and therefore incomes. Some may well make this a hobby, some may never do it again. I think it would be a shame to put them off what is going to be v cheap stalking but for the cost of 50 - 70 for the insurance.
    I believe with SACS if you have 6 or more you can get syndicate membership for 24 a skull. I think you are unlikely to get any kind of stand alone insurance for anything at 15, the admin costs would pretty much swallow that up.

If you pay for stalking you are not covered by your shooting association. The people taking your money need to hold the insurance once money has changed hands. The cover is only for recreational shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    If you pay for stalking you are not covered by your shooting association. The people taking your money need to hold the insurance once money has changed hands. The cover is only for recreational shooting.
    Are you saying if i were to buy a day on the Hill shooting Reds that my BASC insurance is Void? As i am not doing this for a living then surely its still Recreationl?

Yorkie.