Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Second .270 Winchester.

My Second .270 Winchester.

My lovely daughter informed me that I'd be bringing firearms for her in-laws for the November hunt we have planned. They are fine people and don't mind but letting one of my good hunting rifles out to seasonal shooters is something I'm not fond of doing. I have an FN 30-06 that I can light load for her mother in law, but the father in law is another thing. I finally went to the trading post and began rummaging the racks. I found an ugly-stocked (Mc Millan, black paint over green fiberglass) Howa 1500 in 270 Winchester. It has a Timney trigger and Burris rings. I told the owner I needed to pay next-to-nothing for the privilege of owning such a classy rifle and he obliged: $250 including the fine Simmons scope that is mounted on it. This is only my second 270 purchase: the first being a pre-war Model 70 I paid $150 for 15 years ago.

I don't have much use for the chambering but it should make a good loaner gun. I left it at the shop until morning as I had other errands to do and didn't want to leave the gun in the back seat of my Toyota. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow. It's a really doggy looking gun right now but the barrel is good.

I just hope it hasn't stretched too much.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I don't have much use for the chambering

You a Communist or sumpin'?

You mean you PAID TO OWN A PLASTIC STOCK................... sorry I am just recovering from the shock.

You do know that it is going to shoot really well don't you? you should have let him used that BAR 30-06 . Tell shortstuff she owes you for another gun.

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Nothing wrong with the 270 WIN,I rolled this bloke earlier this year with a Brno Mod 600 in 270 Win,BAM! One shot= dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    You mean you PAID TO OWN A PLASTIC STOCK................... sorry I am just recovering from the shock.
    Yeah. I don't know what came over me. If I decide to use is for anything else other than a loaner I'll restock it, promise!~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    Tell shortstuff she owes you for another gun.

John
    Tell her yourself. She's looking to talk to you today sometime.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    Nothing wrong with the 270 WIN,I rolled this bloke earlier this year with a Brno Mod 600 in 270 Win,BAM! One shot= dead!

Nice goat! I never said there was anything wrong with the 270, I said I didn't have much use for it. I don't even recall seeing my die set in the last decade... I may have lent them out! I have too many of it's cousins lying about to bother with it.

There is the fact that the 270 rubs me a bit; not because of any faults it has that can't be equally attributed to other "over-bore" cartridges, but more to some of the people I used to deal with who shot them. The likes of whom, can't be found on this Forum, thank God.

I will share one weird story about the 270; forgive me if I've posted this before. I went hunting with a good friend of mine shortly after having bought my M-70. We had sighted it in for Remington ammunition and it shot it very well. Paul wanted to use it for mule deer and as I was hot to use my Siamese Mauser 45-70 with express loads, I agreed to let him. We drove off the county road into the back country and spotted a herd of deer so we parked circled around them. I got a muley doe but Paul didn't shoot. Somehow they had eluded him -which can happen. No big deal.

We got my deer back to the truck and Lo! There was a mule doe standing on a hill side 200 yards off. Meat in the freezer! Paul shouldered the Winchester and fired. As was to be expected, the 270 slammed her like a toilet seat. We were congratulating each other on a successful hunt when the darned thing got up! He whacked her again with the same results. Wow. That was odd! We started walking and she got up again. I believe he hit her one more time with the same results. She staggered over the butte with us in hot pursuit. In the end, we looked for hours and never found her. It was the only deer I've been a party to shooting that was lost.

The flip side of that is my brother-in-law shooting a near New Mexico State record mule deer with his Ruger 270. One shot at 175 yards and the monster folded. Both of these guys were equally skilled marksmen.~Muir

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

We got my deer back to the truck and Lo! There was a mule doe standing on a hill side 200 yards off. Meat in the freezer! Paul shouldered the Winchester and fired. As was to be expected, the 270 slammed her like a toilet seat. We were congratulating each other on a successful hunt when the darned thing got up! He whacked her again with the same results. Wow. That was odd! We started walking and she got up again. I believe he hit her one more time with the same results. She staggered over the butte with us in hot pursuit. In the end, we looked for hours and never found her. It was the only deer I've been a party to shooting that was lost.

The flip side of that is my brother-in-law shooting a near New Mexico State record mule deer with his Ruger 270. One shot at 175 yards and the monster folded. Both of these guys were equally skilled marksmen.~Muir
    I gave up on my old .243 for the same reason. I didn't reload in those days and premium bullet loadings weren't available to me off the shelf, all I could get at the time were Remchester and/or steel jacketed Norma's.

My point being... Are these events due to problems with the cartridges or the projectiles?

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Nice goat! I never said there was anything wrong with the 270,

Muir that aint no ordinary goat,that's a Himalayan Tahr!