best allround dog

so nice to hear of another patterdale on this line of work. Just started training my patterdale bitch to follow trailed hooves and will move on to blood. Best game ever, she loves it and also 'gets it'. Just very unsure about letting her off lead when stalking as any small furry, especially squirrel and rabbit, shes off !
Ive been running a patterdale pup with my GWP and this is his first season on birds, he points/flushes, retrieves (off water as well as land) and works well to the whistle, and has put some of the dogs on our shoot to shame this year, at the end of the bird season i will start him on blood trails and see how he does on the deer.teddy on point with griff.jpgteddy and griff with a few birds.jpg

The real problems with dogs the vast majority of the time aren't their breed, their temperament or their abilities, it's their owners. If you are a good, consistent trainer and hunting companion who keeps the dog fit, active, healthy and regularly re-enforces training, you'll have a good dog.

I guess we all know dogs that we meet on occasions that are really badly behaved, but generally you only have to look as far as the owner. The same is true of good working dogs.

As for a breed to choose, then you need to choose a dog whose best ability is doing what you do most, which incidentally just may well be being a family pet, which a high proportion of working dogs do most of the time.

I have a working Cocker bitch. She has been very hard to train, she will work her socks off in any cover retrieve any game. From her body language I can tell if she is onto game. I will have another as soon as I can. The only thing that I will change is that she was my first dog and I done and expected to much to soon.
The next dog I will not bother training to receive until it's older as they are so bold when they are young they need to kept close.
I would have a lab if I didn't have a Cocker or springer.

Please forgive my ignorance whats a GLP, I know the GWP or German Wirehair Pointer, is the GLP similar but a long haired instead.

The best dog is the one regardless of the breed does what you actually want it to do.

Please forgive my ignorance whats a GLP, I know the GWP or German Wirehair Pointer, is the GLP similar but a long haired instead.

German longhaired pointer:

images

Back