Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flight case and airline Qs

Flight case and airline Qs

I'm slowly gearing up a for a move to Australia at the end of the year. I've got a 30-06 and 243 to take (they are not take down) with scopes. I've been reading about gun cases such as this thread - Flight cases for rifles? The Peli sounds good, but I'm reluctant to spend over 200. Transport is not an issue the other end
    But am still not sure. Is this Flambeau case any good - Flambeau Double Gun Case at Uttings.co.uk

I could remove them from their stocks but I'd still need a case - which one. I haven't decided on airline yet but I assumed with the big long haul ones they still don't charge for extra 'sporting goods' - am I wrong?

Also, Singapore Airlines have the best prices right now, but I heard somewhere they don't take firearms. Can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by harrygrey382; 07-08-2011 at 11:30.
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

or does anyone have experience of Gunmaster cases? Hard Gun Cases
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

I make 8 or 9 flights a year with my rifles. In the last three years I have gone through 2 aluminium flight cases. I have just bought a Pelicase which is virtually bomb proof. They are not cheap , circa 400 pounds plus 40 pounds for the foam. I sleep better, travel better knowing that my guns are safe. There is no cheap case for a firearm worth it's salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    I make 8 or 9 flights a year with my rifles. In the last three years I have gone through 2 aluminium flight cases. I have just bought a Pelicase which is virtually bomb proof. They are not cheap , circa 400 pounds plus 40 pounds for the foam. I sleep better, travel better knowing that my guns are safe. There is no cheap case for a firearm worth it's salt.
    wow, worth more than both my rifles I'd say. Although not together. I'm also only flying once. Do you get charged extra for the wight?

harry i went to new zealand earlier this year and we took one of those flambeau ones it was bit flimbsy but did the job ok you just need to be carefull with the clips i would say a couple of straps would help for extra security atb,wayne

I'm a frequent flier with Swiss and get agenerous baggage allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by mereside View Post
    harry i went to new zealand earlier this year and we took one of those flambeau ones it was bit flimbsy but did the job ok you just need to be carefull with the clips i would say a couple of straps would help for extra security atb,wayne
    Take a roll of brown tape and wrap the case with it after your guns are checked at the airport before you fly!!
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

I would imagine that if you could find a good musical flight case maker close to you then they would be more than willing to build you a custom case to your exact spec in terms of weight and how robust it will be - which is always a bit of a trade off.

A friend who builds flight cases built me one for my Blaser that comes in under airline weight limits etc. and is more robust than the case Blaser sell. I still use the Blaser case in the car etc. but the more robust one now goes on the plane. Don't expect the custom route to be much less expensive than the Peli type option.

Thanks a lot guys. I may have found a second hand Peli one but I'm off on my honeymoon for a couple of weeks today so will sort it out when I get back. I guess I also need to decide on an airline and get their restrictions.

Does anyone know if any of the major airlines don't take firearms - like singapore in particular?

Swiss take firearms....it`s as though you are checking in a set of golf clubs, nobody bats an eyelid. They usually wish me "Good hunting"!