Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats 150g ballistic tip like in 308

whats 150g ballistic tip like in 308

I reload for 308 but have been given 80 rounds of norma and federal 150grain ballistic tip by a friend that has changed calibers. Whats it like? I currenty reload hornady interloc which work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    I reload for 308 but have been given 80 rounds of norma and federal 150grain ballistic tip by a friend that has changed calibers. Whats it like? I currenty reload hornady interloc which work fine.
    I don't know as never used them but would be interested to find out also....

use the norma 308 bt hence my name love em in my steyr use on fallow and red dont want to tempt fate but 99% dead dont run on much no more than a few yrds ,i have used them on smaller deer and you do get a fair hole but dead is dead ,they cycle well in my steyr which was a problem with the federal so big tick from me

my mate uses norma 150 bt in his 308, ive seen a stag travel about 150yards after been shot in the rib cage tho, but its was a strange case of one entry hole an two exit holes in the rib cage, so dont know if the bullet split in 2 or not, both exits was about 1'' in diameter about 4'' apart from each other, strange,

he said he has never had that problem before,

I only use BT,s on boar now ,they were doing to much damage on deer
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

+1. The 125s perform very well, i used to load these when i shot 308 and through a 26" barrel i used to get 3150fps with very good accuracy.

IMHO, a lot of nonsense is peddled about Nosler BTs.

Shoot enough deer and you discover that every bullet can exhibit odd terminal ballistics at times. I have recorded a fallow two-for-one with a standard factory soft nose round, which caused much disbelief and then mirth among the accompanying party at the time.

I use Nosler BTs 125s in 308 and 30-06AI and trust implicitly their predictable flight. Yes, they cause damage, but that's what a bullet is supposed to do. It's how they kill. The more quickly and the more humanely a bullet does so, the better, in my book. I use the .308 and download if I am taking clients for muntjac and roe, and I use a *stiff* load in the 30-06 AI for fallow in the middle of large fields in the winter. With appropriate placement it is as emphatic and as humane as it gets.

I don't fret about occasional meat damage and I do sleep well at night knowing I did the best I could for the animals I shoot.
    KevinF -

I have used the 150g ballistic tips in the past through a .308 at approximately 2850fps. Never failed to kill anything but there were some deer where the bullet didnt appear to expand and others where the bullet simply came to bits. Nice and accurate but I gave up on them in the end